Author Topic: Dry time  (Read 7557 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Dry time
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »
Every tree Limbit mentioned we have and all are better then oak. Cassarina, "Austailian Pine" down here is some bad a$$ wood with interlocking grain from Hell. I've never seen a woog that will fold over when it breaks and an hour later straighten back to where it was before.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 05:49:10 pm »
That's what I've been hearing but have yet to see any around here. I might pack up the chainsaw and "explore" ocala national Forrest:)
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »
Not Ocala, go to the coast near the beaches. They were brought in a long time ago for wind breaks. And you better invest in a Band saw with good blades or good wedges. Get in touch with Parnel on this site he has access to some.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »
Alright I'll definitely check it out. They're an invasive species here so I'm sure I'll be able to get some

Limbit

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2016, 12:51:19 am »
Yes, cassaurina is sometimes called by many names including Australian Pine or Beach Pine...and it always grows right on the edge of the beach where the beach meets the forest. Although the tree can be pretty gnarly, if you find an older one with a crotch mid-way up it, you should be able to find perfectly straight and twig-free limbs growing vertically out of it. That is always the way I collect it now in Taiwan. The tree is too dense to lug around off the beach after cutting without a group of friends, so limbs are sometimes preferable. The wood does split insanely easily if you want to stave out a larger trunk then and there. The wood is 100% tension safe within normal designs, but it may have some small compression issues. Seal it up ASAP and keep it in a cool area to season or it will check like crazy. You can find jessamine wood on hills with slopes facing the rising sun. You will smell it long before you see it and it often has small white flowers or small citrus-like fruit growing on it. Hell of a good bow wood. Podacarpus is often called "japanese yew" and is a highly usable wood that is easily identifiable. Guava is everywhere. Most people prefer "strawberry guava" to yellow guava as a bow wood. Post pics if you score anything.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2016, 01:14:32 am »
Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna write all this down so I don't forget. I have yet to see any guava trees around me. Granted it's not in my little book so who knows. I have some strange trees that the bark is a reddish brown. Pretty sure eddie said it was camphor. Which is a no go

Limbit

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 04:24:36 am »
You have pictures of the bark? Reddish brown doesn't sound like camphor to me. At least not all the camphor I've seen. Camphor has greyish pleated bark similar to a cottonwood tree and has glossy leaves that are highly fragrant when crushed.Send some pics of it my way if you could!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:00 am »
Yea, if it's reddish brown it's not Camphor. There's Guava down here where I'm at. A lot of it growing on the side of the roadway.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 07:47:23 am »
Crunch the leaves. Camphor smells like....camphor!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 08:08:12 am »
I'll snap some pics today. I can't reach the leaves because they're so high up. Damn vines.  But it's orangish red color bark.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26:44 am »
Ok so here's some pics of the orangish color tree

Then there is this guy which is also confusing me

Any help would be amazing gents!

Limbit

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2016, 08:26:51 pm »
That first one is camphor. The second one is a question to me. Again, I am not from Florida, so maybe one of the other guys can ID it.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:42 pm »
Man I hope not. Eddie said maybe hickory

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2016, 09:35:03 pm »
The last picture of leaves is Pignut Hickory. The first one looks like Camphor.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2016, 09:37:05 pm »
The last picture of leaves is the tree just above it