Author Topic: Inducing deflex/All reflexing/broke  (Read 13108 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Inducing deflex
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 04:26:55 pm »
Ed if you steam it to get that bend, then heat treat before you remove it from the form i should keep most all of the deflex
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 05:13:40 pm »
I. Finished one up recently with a simular design and it's a heavy hitter.the hooks on mine where a little bigger though.the one I made the limbs stacked at about 22" and the levers opened up kinda like a primitive duoflex at 26".i used localized steam and dry heat only.i added just a smige of defex at the fades and got a little more from set.i shot heavy arrows through it and it shot thru my banged up fabric target,thr two layer of 3/8" rubber mat and slammed in to the plywood,wowzers!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 05:28:35 pm »
Ed you could always thin that handle down, say another 3/4" for an easier bend. Then fill it in with another wood or horn, like Marc does on his RD splice bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline scp

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
Ed you could always thin that handle down, say another 3/4" for an easier bend. Then fill it in with another wood or horn, like Marc does on his RD splice bows.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't like the idea of deflexing the fades and it would be tricky to bend them symmetrically. I would thin the handle to less than 1 inch in thickness, bend in the middle, and cut the belly of handle flat again to attach a riser.

Offline JonW

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:34:19 pm »
Ed it's really not complicated. I used a heat gun and had zero problems getting it hot enough to bend. The handle was 1 1/2" deep and 1 1/4 wide. I know your skills. Don't over think it man.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 09:19:05 am »
I appreciate the comments and help fellas.All great usable solutions to my inquiring.Sometimes more than I should I overthink things.I won't really know how good this piece of wood is yet till final tillering.What I had in mind from the beginning was to make a reflexed or R/D levered bow with the levers reflexed or bent a bit.I don't think it could be called a recurve really....The string won't be touching the belly of tips.Having it hold at least 4" of reflex through all of the torture of tillering and shooting in without any backing was a goal too.It's been done by a few people on here before.I really wanted to see myself too just how well it would stand up if it makes it of course after about 3 to 4 years of shooting etc.I've been skeptical of this.Sort of a long term experiment I guess.In the past most times I made bows by the rule to give it enough reflex to hold up to at least a flat or slightly reflexed profile resting finished with a self bow that is.
At least this one has inspired me some.Thanks again.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42:46 am »
I just heat the center section and pull it down the work out each limb, I always do it all at one shot, never had a problem, just takes a little while on the center section as I heat it slow and pull it a little at a time.  :) I have one form about like that one, they turn out a nice smooth shooting bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:37 pm »
I have done most of that deflex in the center of the handle with success. Some times the back will crack on the first ring . Takes lots of heat and I do it with bar clamp and a couple blocks on my bench.You have to sometimes put leather on if it cracks across that first growth ring though. I did not like that much so don't built them often. Ed I don't know you well enough to talk about how much set your bows take if any. But 1 1/2 in of set would get some of that deflex for you. Oh and by the way I like where it is at right now. Looking good. Arvin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:25:58 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 07:54:14 pm »
Pappy....I should pay attention sometime at these bow making gatherings when this type of a deal is done.No matter how the back gets to the form from heat I suppose heating both limbs up to midlimb then would seal the deal.Making the handle a 1 and 1/8" thick to do this would work with a chunk glued on later to thicken up the handle like PD said.Dry heat I mean.
Selfbowman...I realize that too about set for my deflex.Then people will call it an R/D but not intending it to be one....ha ha ha.Normally lots of times I can keep my set  an 1" or less most times.Depends on design and type of wood etc.
bushboy....I know what you mean about the levered bows.Made enough here to keep making them for sure.Like their performance and sweet smooth draw.
JonW....Yes I know your right.It's not all that hard really.I should be able to handle that.
bubby....Your right there bud.I always dry temper anything I steam bend myself.Especially recurves or statics.
Braced the bow.Carved the handle.It weighs just about a pound now that's all.It was an 1/8" negative tiller because top limb was 1/8" more reflex.Tidied that up and looks like it'll just make a 45# pound bow.Did'nt remove much wood really.I decide to just go with my half form for reflexing each limb.No R/D adventure this time....ha ha ha,but still thanks for the input and advice.It leaves the handle flat.The static tip goes off the end of the form and just the working limb gets reflexed.Trying to balance the curve of the tip with the reflex into a nice ever increasing type reflex given to each limb.Still a nice rounded type full draw then.I'll see if it can pick up a little poundage from reflexing and heat treating.Might wait 2 weeks I don't know yet.I usually use my 10 day rule....ha ha ha.Pics of the bow and form.

BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Inducing deflex/All reflexing
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 07:57:06 pm »
Second limb being done.Screwed up and sent first one 2 times sorry.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 08:04:26 pm »
     One thing about inducing deflex into the bow. The bow needs to retain the reflex deflex shape at brace and well into the draw or there is no benefit. Your bow looks nice as you have it now but I honestly stay away from that much reflex anymore. If it causes the bow to take too much set it defeats a lot of the purpose. If you want to finish with 2" I like to start with 3". If you start with 6" and finish with 2 it looses some snap. Now if you retain about 4" of that you will have a fast bow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:13 pm »
Yes I hear ya.My intentions are to keep 4" of course.Like talking about earlier in the post I'll see in about 2 weeks.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:39 pm »
WOW...........I'm disappointed this post took a turn.....I was looking forward to a R/D bow. Good luck with that much reflex.....just stringing to brace is tough....
Will love to see it after about 500 shots see ya then......???
DBar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:30:50 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 09:19:24 pm »
That much reflex is tricky, and I agree with Badger that if it looses most of it, it can be a dud, but, if it holds, it could be a screamer.  I have one from a few years ago that I put 6 inches of reflex in it.  I have shot it a ton.  Took it bow fishing last month and probably put 100 arrows thru it over the weekend.  I just measured it and it sets at 4 inches of reflex.  I like the looks of it Ed. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 09:54:33 pm »
Tiller it well and keep the set low and that thing will be incredible.