Author Topic: Let's see some points you've found  (Read 18909 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Let's see some points you've found
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:20 pm »
hey pat  -  now you have been searching for your false teeth for so long HERE they are...right next to that mummified rat of yours!

;D ;D ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 10:05:24 pm »
Frank, he musta been gnawing on that old tough rat and they fell out.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 12:36:20 am »
I'll trade you a ton of quartzite for a hundred pounds of that slick gray flint
  Thanks, but no thanks, Hillbilly.  I'm not a knapper, but have tried it some and I know how tough and grainy that stuff is. That's one reason I admire nice points made from it so much.
   Here's a few more I had around the house and a picture of the other side of that fluted piece.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 09:42:54 am »
Shannon, that's what I was expecting. Looks like the first side was fluted successfully, and the flake dived when they were fluting the other side. That's really interesting-you can tell from your point what stage of manufacture they were doing the fluting on the Cumberlands-looks similar to the Folsom preforms I've seen pics of. There's not nearly as much known about the Cumberlands as the Folsom and Clovis stuff. I would definitely hang on to that piece.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 10:53:26 am »
Hey Pat,how come you didnt mention the little green man? Somebodys likely to find some of those where I grew up.Not intact though, I was hard on those guys,firecrackers and such. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
Auggie, glad to know i wasn't the only one.  ;D BBs and .22 short hollow points are pretty rough on the little guys, too.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »
 Shannon, That's a nice Bolen bevel. If I can get over to my buddy Rick's house I'll take some pictures of some real killer ,expensive points. They are mostly Agatized Coral found down here. Each case is probally worth about $30 grand a piece. Hillbilly's seen them ,I think.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »
Yeah, I saw Rick's cases at the Clinch River knapin a couple years ago. Absolute jaw droppers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 11:08:49 pm »
Well I looked in all the places I thought I'd kept my childhood mementos for the few points (thinking back and knowing what little I now know, they were probably preforms) but I can't seem to find them.  I hope they didn't go the way of many a kid's baseball card collections left in the attic.   :(

Nice collections guys.  Very educational too. 

I am going to have to make another trip to the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History at the University of Oklahoma.  It's got a lot of nice points on display.  Mainly those found in and around Oklahoma.  Lots of Clovis points if I remember correctly.  Does that sound about right, geographically?

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 02:54:30 am »
Thanks Eddie.  I didn't know I had a bolan bevel ???  Which one you talkin about? 
  About the most expensive point I ever seen was a 7" cumberland.  It was at a show in Gallatin, Tn. The guy who had it turned down $20,000 for it that day, TWICE!!!  I say that's where two fools met! Of course my wife thinks i'm a fool.  I turned down $350 for the Lost Lake and $500 for the serrated Dove Tail.  She say's if anything ever happens to me, she's selling them "rocks".
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 03:09:36 pm »
Augie, One of the few remaining survivors! ;D  Mine usually burned up when molten plastic dripped on them from the model air plane bombers that were dispatched.  8) >:D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 04:36:04 pm »
 The Bolen is the second from the left, top row in the picture above. You would be suprised what people will pay for points in mint condition. I've bought quite a few firearms and paid for hunting trips with the points I have found.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 02:49:41 pm »
here are a few i found here in s.c.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:11 pm »
Here's some broken points I found on the jobsite here in Alabama - nothing near as nice as what you guys have but artifacts nonetheless ;D. Look like something the indian kids were trying to make - learning to knap maybe.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:29 pm »
Hey Cowboy, if that were my hard hat Id have a PA sticker on it. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya