Author Topic: Back sloping off to one side  (Read 1777 times)

Offline DC

Back sloping off to one side
« on: August 16, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »
This piece of yew is the second stave from a bent piece. The first was cut from the center of the outside bend. This one is from right beside it. As a result the back slopes to one side for the full length. In the picture it slopes from right to left. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. Do you think this will affect the bow in any way? I'm planning an R/D and have reflexed the tips a bit. I will do more later.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Back sloping off to one side
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »
Get it to low brace and see where the string tracks. Yew manipulates well with dry heat and steam. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:26:08 pm »
 All the oldtimers used to shave or rasp/file the sapwood across the stave so the back looks flat. Essentially decrowning/lumberising the wood across the width, but along the length the grain is still followed.

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:41 am »
I haven't worked yew before but the hickory stave I'm working on had some sloping and undulations up and down the limb. I would second the advice to get it to low brace and see how the limbs are bending. If you notice the limb going off-center  (twisting) while bending then I would refer to the excellent sticky on limb twist in this forum.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:14:35 am »
There are several different ways of dealing with it, often the solution is a little of each.
Pat B nailed it by saying see what it wants to do.
I've done 'em where I've had thick sap wood one edge and thin the other, others I've kept the sap even and shaped the belly to match the back, others I've heat corrected and some it's a little of each.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:11:09 am »
I leave the handles wide and the nocks wide so I can adjust the tiller.
If th string tacks ok I don't worry about it.
If not I may do this:
http://traditionalarchery101.com/fixtwist.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!