Author Topic: Dry fire  (Read 3448 times)

Offline DC

Dry fire
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »
Can a dry fire cause a crysal? I did something stupid and now I have a chrysal, i think.What lind of damage can a dry fire cause?

Offline Joec123able

Re: Dry fire
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »
I would imagine it's possible. When you dry fire the energy that would be imparted to the arrow goes back into the limbs and sends a more devastating shock through them than if the arrow had absorbed most of the energy. It can cause the limbs to break or splinter or split your nocks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:06:33 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »
I wouldn't think a chrysal.  A crack or break or delamination or sheared off tip overlay, etc.  A chrysal is caused by compression.  But I am just speculating!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:17:29 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of chrysals but this looks like one and it happened right after I dry fired it. It's pretty hard to deny the coincidence though. All I can find on the net is "don't do it" and "It causes damage to the bow". I guess a chrysal is damage but it doesn't strike me as the right damage for the situation. But what do I know :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »
I seriously doubt a dry fire would be the cause of that chrysal
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »
 Is this definitive?  I sanded it a bit and CA'ed it and now I can feel it again. Just coincidence that it happened at the same time? It's going right through the middle of a small knot. It's fumed OS, if that matters

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
What kind of string were you using. I'm thinkinking if it was B-50 it might have cracked from the sudden rebound with no weight from the arrow. Heck, even Fastflight stretches a little. And, that pin knot probably wouldn't help any.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 09:43:25 pm »
Fast flight. I rasped and sanded until it disappeared and epoxied in a piece of OS(ala Del). The chrysal went in at least 1/8".I made it 8" long. The patch isn't fumed so it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. It will be a test of patching. It's funny, I was just remarking yesterday that I had 13 bows and was going to have to build one or dump one :D

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:03:16 am »
Make the next one a penobscot  bow. You skip right from 12 to 14 with that little trick.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 06:37:50 am »
Looks like compression to me. Your buddy did not pull it back another 2-3 inches did he. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 08:41:37 am »
The bow slammed too far forward and that separated wood at the knot, not compressed. So no, not a chrysal. Its a tear. IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:25 am »
That is the same thing that my OS stave had that I showed you. I never dry fired mine...
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 11:12:59 am »
I've seen a lot of those on OS bows, always around belly pin knots.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 11:31:20 am »
My guess is that PD is right.  The shock broke it right at the pin.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 11:35:45 am »
I'm going to go with- The bow was probably going to crack/chrysal there eventually and the dry fire just speeded it up. That's fairly diplomatic and as close as I'm going to get.