Author Topic: River cane  (Read 3227 times)

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
River cane
« on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:18 pm »
When is a good time to cut river cane and what size do you cut. How long do you let it dry for.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: River cane
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:55 pm »
I usually cut cane in January or February. This eliminates snakes and bugs. Any time after the growing season is a good time. Be sure to cut at least second year growth. With hill cane I cut culms that are 3/8" at the base. Cut them long so you can find a shaft of the right spine for your bow. Depending on the R/H of your area dry the cane anywhere from a month to two.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »
I agree with Pat....except I would let them dry a little longer, maybe 2-3 months especially if you bundle a bunch tightly together.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:17:28 pm »
How can you tell it's at least second growth and do you us a spin tester.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
Each culm grows it's ultimate height the first growing season. At each node there is a paper-like sheath that protects the node. After the second growing season that sheath begins to deteriorate and by the third growing season the sheath has completely deteriorated but after that the culm dies.Once dead it's too late to collect because the culm rots quickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 05:40:39 am »
Ok thanks for the help

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »
Hey Pat,
Is three years all the longer your cane lives?
My river cane patch seems to live longer and it doesn't reach it's final height the first year.
But, it does have that paper like sheath at the nodes that your talking about the first year and after that it disappears and a leaf forms.
The first years growth is like a noodle even when it dries.
Could that be a slight difference between hill and river cane?
DBar
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:10:34 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:46:26 pm »
Bill, there is a big difference between hill cane and river cane. River cane is the largest of the native canes reaching 15' or more tall and about 3/4" to 1" at the base. Hill cane only grows about 6' to 7' and maybe 1/2" at the most. Hill cane is similar to switch cane which grows as tall as hill cane and about the same diameter. Hill cane has thicker walls and a smaller diameter hole in the center than switch cane. River cane has a large hole in the center with relatively thinner walls. River cane has very pronounced nodes, switch cane isn't as pronounced and hill cane is less than that. The sulcus (indentation above the node) is very pronounced with river cane, not so much for switch cane and almost non-existent with hill cane. Finally, hill cane is the only native cane that is deciduous, loosing their leaves each winter.