Author Topic: Yew prep questions  (Read 1454 times)

JacksonCash

Yew prep questions
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »
I've got a small yew log that I cut down the middle per Pearly's guidance, and I think I've got two nice pieces of wood- one about six feet long, the other will be smaller than that, not sure how small yet but gotta cut an end off due to a knot in the back.
I've got a couple questions though- Bark is still on the back, what's a good way to get it off without a lot of damage to the back? secondly, there are a few marks on the bark from the saw that cut it down (not me) I think I can lay out a bow and avoid them, but if not, is it worth while chasing a ring on yew? I'll get pictures up after work.

Offline DC

Re: Yew prep questions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:04:34 pm »
You can leave the bark on and it will/should pop off nice and clean while floor bracing. Failing that, I use a draw knife carefully and go almost down to the wood, then I spritz it with a spray bottle and let it soak for a few minutes. Scrape with a dull edge of some kind. I use the side of a chisel. A stiff plastic brush works too. I also have some Amway coarse stainless steel wool that works well. It sounds slow and tedious but it goes quite fast. I can get all traces of bark off a yew stave in an hour or so. The outer bark is fairly water resistant but the inner bark soak and softens very well. Careful around the pins :D

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:48 am »
Okay Here's some pictures:

The log is around 3" in diameter, and the fatter slice is just under 2" deep. You can see in the last few pictures the chainsaw nicks that I'm concerned about. I'm also a little concerned over the knot in the second picture- the dark streak doesn't go too deep in there from what I can tell, but it's hard to say.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:56:30 am »
How deep are the chainsaw nicks? Being that close to the tip you can reduce the sapwood some. That first knot concerns me. The dark line looks like enclosed bark but I may be seeing things. It's also close to the center. I don't know if I would trust that. Could we have a couple more pictures of that area and a measurement to the ends?

Nevermind, I moved the slider over and now I can see where that knot is. :-[ :-[ You may be able to lay the bow out so you can miss most of that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:02:35 pm by DC »

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »
I think that the steak may be enclosed bark too. I'll snap a couple more pictures when I get home. The nicks aren't too deep, I'll get some detail.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »
I leave the bark on, but if you have problems with bugs it may be better to remove it.
Those nicks are so shallow they are not a problem.
the bark will pop off eventually and it acts as a strain gauge during tillering indicating where the wood is bending, see this post on my blog (ok it's Hazel not Yew, but same principal applies)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/hazel-warbow-progress.html
Folowing is an aim an ideal and is nice cosmetically, it isn't essential. Often you need to reduce the sapwood a bit near the tips else you'd end up with all sapwood and no heart wood. as long as it is done gradually and no nasty nicks or sharp discontinuities are left it is fine.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.