Author Topic: Forgetc osage!  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

Forgetc osage!
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »
Ok so I post in here probably more than most would prefer but I like asking questions and learning.
With that being said, BESIDES osage (obviously it's king of bow wood) what is YOUR favorite wood to work with? And what wood do you feel makes a superior bow? This should be interesting
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline ajooter

Re: Forgetc osage!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:28:06 pm »
I have not made a ton of bows but I like hickory myself!!  Ya just gotta make sure it's dry.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 01:29:42 pm »
Yew, Hazel, Elm.
Yew is tops because you get 2 distinct types of wood in the one tree and the caramel/cream heart/sap wood looks so damn cool, it's also V light and fast.
Hazel 'cos it's plentiful, straight, relatively knot free easy to work and can be seasoned quickly.
Elm is tough and makes a fast bow, nice colour too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »
Elm
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:38:24 pm »
Yew, Hazel, Elm.
Yew is tops because you get 2 distinct types of wood in the one tree and the caramel/cream heart/sap wood looks so damn cool, it's also V light and fast.
Hazel 'cos it's plentiful, straight, relatively knot free easy to work and can be seasoned quickly.
Elm is tough and makes a fast bow, nice colour too.
Del

Del I like that snakey hazel you did. I haven't seen any around my neck of the woods I don't even think it grows in this part of Florida

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
You fellas go ahead and play with all the woods you want, Ill meet you back at Camp Osage when your ready.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:55:25 pm »
You fellas go ahead and play with all the woods you want, Ill meet you back at Camp Osage when your ready.

Hahaha I'm just trying to see what else is out there. I don't want to be like everyone else and made an osage bow that looks like every other bow out there. Not to discredit anyone I just like be different

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:00:52 pm »
Since you want to be different and you live in Florida maybe you should track down the elusive and legendary Snakewood :D

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:42 pm »
That would be nice. However I don't even have hickory in my back yard. Lots of red oak and pine but I'll keep my eyes open

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
I think one's preferred wood depends on their goals. If my goal is always to make the perfect bow that will last a very long time and stave availability and cost is never an issue, then sure, ultra-dense, thin-ringed osage orange would be my preference.

This isn't the case though, at least not for me. Straight, clean staves that meet the above description are few and far between, and when they are available they cost a lot. I can't afford to invest $200+ in a single stave, at least not frequently, so I've learned to use woods that are available to cut locally, or that I can buy for a more reasonable price. For me, living in northern Vermont, that means eastern hophornbeam, hickory, and black locust. I'll even use white ash sometimes. If used correctly and properly seasoned, all of these woods make excellent bows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
I like HHB
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Thunder

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:59 pm »
I use American Elm, it make a great bow.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:43:42 pm »
Sounds like elms the way to go. Supposedly some grow around here but have yet too see any

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
lots of great woods,, usually what you have the most experience with will make the best bow for you,, most of my bows are osage,, but other woods work great too,,

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 03:07:58 pm »
I have a buttload of laurel oak and Shumards oak out here. I know they're both red oak but every hackberry I've shopped down had been knotted up and twisted.