Author Topic: Forgetc osage!  (Read 15634 times)

Offline Newindian

Re: Forgetc osage!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »
what's available, at home that means juniper (but only if sinew backed), but now that I'm in collage station it could be anything (including sage), I tried hickory once I could be a contender if I get my hands on some more.
I like free stuff.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »
As of now, my preferred wood to work with is Brazilian Guava (pretty much because it's what I have available in big quantity) , but I'd LOVE to have an Osage or a Yew stave to work on 😐.
~Isaia

Offline JonW

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 05:11:09 pm »
You fellas go ahead and play with all the woods you want, Ill meet you back at Camp Osage when your ready.

I heard you were a closet ERC fan ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »
Osage,hickory,ironwood,good elm and really any of those can be put in extreme designs and handle it.Black locust too but not extremely designed as much.All available around me here.
The native species map says you should have winged elm in your state.I'd hoard a bit of that if I were you.Then I'll trade ya an osage stave for a good one......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »
Elm!albeit it likes to change it's tiller till u nail it!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »
My favorite is whatever I can get for free. >:D

Of course around here land owners hate that trashy pesky osage. So thats what I have the most of.
Steve Bennett

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:46 pm »
Osage,hickory,ironwood,good elm and really any of those can be put in extreme designs and handle it.Black locust too but not extremely designed as much.All available around me here.
The native species map says you should have winged elm in your state.I'd hoard a bit of that if I were you.Then I'll trade ya an osage stave for a good one......lol.
That's what I keep hearing but have yet to see any.
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 06:29:54 pm »
Besides Osage maybe mulberry. Want to try some black locust tho.
I like osage

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 06:40:08 pm »
I'd say hhb, elm, and mulberry

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:17 pm »
Justin....You gotta go where the panthers live to find it.In the deep swamp....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »
I've only built something like 20 bows, so I don't have a lot of comparison experience, but my favorite bow I've made so far was from a black locust board backed with a strip of maple.  Really satisfying to build and shoot, and had a lot of really good zip to it.

Offline raylbird

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 08:00:03 pm »
After experimenting with over 20 varieties of trees my favorite is dense American Beech. My best performing bows have been with it. Osage does amazing things with short d bows, it just wants to be a bow. Any Hickory I have tried is great after getting good and dry and it  is plentiful anywhere I have ever lived. Winged Elm is amazing wood also but the American Elm I have found has been weak for the designs I have tried. Hackberry wants to take some set but still makes a nice bow. Now after experimenting with a lot of knotty twisted trees I would pick the straightest cleanest trees I can find and make a design to fit the wood.

Limbit

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Chinese Elm (proper Chinese Elm, not Siberian...and no, they are not the same thing) is great. Juniper is my personal favorite so long as it is backed with something (could be as simple as rawhide). Plum is awesome as are apple and crabapple.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:05 pm »
My favorite woods are what I can get locally,and have made bows from,so that will be 1-osage, 2-hackberry and 3-hickory.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
Hickberry and hackory.

I mean hackberry and hickory!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.