Author Topic: Forgetc osage!  (Read 15651 times)

Offline loon

Re: Forgetc osage!
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:08 pm »
want to try more than osage:

More bamboo.

Hickory, because it's cheaper and more common and I live in a dry area. And it's more forgiving, isn't it..

juniper or (reaction?) incense cedar backed with hickory SOUNDS good... hmm..

Or bamboo backed ipe with a more primitive design.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 09:16:19 pm »
Loon makes a valid point.  Who said we even have to stay with wood? 

FIBERGRASS!

Yeah, I said it, fibergrass!  Rattan and bamboo!

(doing the dirty cheater dance here!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline loon

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:17 pm »
The carbon fiber of toasted hickory..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »
Osage,hickory,ironwood,good elm and really any of those can be put in extreme designs and handle it.Black locust too but not extremely designed as much.All available around me here.
The native species map says you should have winged elm in your state.I'd hoard a bit of that if I were you.Then I'll trade ya an osage stave for a good one......lol.
That's what I keep hearing but have yet to see any.

Still a piece in the shop, cured. I have Osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 10:20:07 pm »
Hhb after osage... Heat gun turns it into putty in your hands. I love the stuff 😜... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:10 pm »
Where are u located Justin? Crepe myrtle is a nice one
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 10:43:36 pm »

I believe we have some I'll have to double check but I'm in West central florida
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:58 pm »
Im going to say yew, but that's what I have a ton of and it seem to do amazing things. I have never tried osage, but I have a stave waiting that I recently chased a ring on. We'll see how it compares to yew.
Eric

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:50 am »
I should have added, Osage is my favorite for SELFBOWS, with Yew and Hophornbeam next.... but once we move into other bow types, backed, glass bows, composites, tri-lams, and such.... other woods may surpass even osage for certain applications.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 08:08:50 am »
I like Black Locus. I have it everywhere. We also have huge hickory trees but never cut one. Those crazy squirrels love them. I also like Osage

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
Hickory is the king of bow wood. Strong and elastic. Can't seem to break a good hickory bow even if it is tillered poorly. it's superior to every bow wood as long as the moisture content is managed properly. That's with every wood though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 09:37:53 am »

I believe we have some I'll have to double check but I'm in West central florida
If u can make over my way some time I'll give you a piece to try out its dense stuff working on a really reflexed piece right now.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

gutpile

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:42 am »
Naturally its going to be whats available around you.. Hickory is top of the list..its a bugger to work here in high humidity but when done right it rivals osage pound per pound...next is hop horn beam... elm, black locust, mulberry may be cousin to osage...but it doesn't compare IMO...can make a good bow no doubt if wide enough or it will fret, but not my preference anymore....chasing a ring on mulberry is hard to see..I found wetting it and proper lighting makes it easier but still a bear... I'm working on a red cedar now two layers of sinew on back and 4 inches of reflex...letting it cure..been about a month so getting close to get back on it..might wait till deer season is over though..:)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »

If u can make over my way some time I'll give you a piece to try out its dense stuff working on a really reflexed piece right now.

Where are you located? I'm about an hour south of ocala and I believe 2 hours north of eddie.

Hickory seems to be phenomenal just for the sheer fact it seems unbreakable. That's all I ever hear about it, no one really says how fast or malible it is.

"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline loon

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »
Hickory is the king of bow wood. Strong and elastic. Can't seem to break a good hickory bow even if it is tillered poorly. it's superior to every bow wood as long as the moisture content is managed properly. That's with every wood though.
I think compression spruce/pine is better with high moisture?

Could hickory make a more efficient bow than Osage in a dry-ish area if heat treated somewhat heavily?