Author Topic: Forgetc osage!  (Read 15637 times)

gutpile

Re: Forgetc osage!
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:20 pm »
I would say it would rival the best osage... in a dry climate...yes...

Offline sleek

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »
Id like to see that experiment done. An osage and a hickory boy built to the best design for both woods respectively, then left in the desert for a few moths and then shot and compared.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JonW

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:44 pm »
Id like to see that experiment done. An osage and a hickory boy built to the best design for both woods respectively, then left in the desert for a few moths and then shot and compared.

You mean a boy like pinoccio? lol

Offline sleek

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:00 pm »
Be honest, who didnt wanna shoot that puppet?

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2016, 04:14:08 pm »
That would an awesome experiment. Chrono and everything same arrows. Who could make this happen? I'd love to see that puppet as the target as well
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline sleek

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:42 pm »
I'll start making the puppet. Donkey tail and all.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2016, 08:32:59 am »
Where are u located Justin? Crepe myrtle is a nice one

I believe we have some I'll have to double check but I'm in West central florida
If u can make over my way some time I'll give you a piece to try out its dense stuff working on a really reflexed piece right now.

Where are you located? I'm about an hour south of ocala and I believe 2 hours north of eddie.

Hickory seems to be phenomenal just for the sheer fact it seems unbreakable. That's all I ever hear about it, no one really says how fast or malible it is.
I'm in palm harbor in Pinellas County. Ocala is about a hour from me maybe 2
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:27 am »

You mean a boy like pinoccio? lol

Hahaha
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2016, 10:42:54 am »

I've heard old legends and stories that suggest that just such a question/contest was the initial purpose and organizational idea that got MOJAM started many many years ago.  If I recall correctly, Lloyd even showed me one of the old osage bows that participated in the testing.  That little bow was nearly CHOCOLATE colored though it had never had any kind of stain or finish put on it.  The color just came from years and years of patina. 

There are likely guys on here that can speak to such legends better than I and could recount the tales from personal memory...

OneBow

Offline Newindian

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2016, 11:56:11 am »
wouldn't such an experiment be a bit inconclusive. You chose a design to fit the wood, because they have different properties meaning that any single design will inevitably favor one type of wood over the other. And since they are different woods how similar do we think the dimensions could be (presumably osage is going to take quiet a bit less wood to reach the same draw weight as hickory) and how that might impact results. btw I'm not against this idea, but unless it shows a very clear difference it may not tell us much about anything except how those species preform in that one design
I like free stuff.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2016, 09:31:49 am »
Since live in the desert, You would have to send both staves to me, obviously. I could use a good piece of hickory

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:08 am »
In a dry climate the hickory would probably fare better than an osage bow. Hickory performs best at about 5%-6% M/C. Osage could easily blow at that low M/C. Osage prefers 9%-11%.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »
I beg to differ, my friend ;). I don't think I've ever seen an Osage bow blow because it was cured too good. Usually poor tiller or flaw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 09:14:44 pm »
Now Eddie, you know there is a difference  between dry and cured.  >:D

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2016, 10:19:35 pm »
Osage 1st , hickory 2nd , Black locust 3rd . Don't usually get past that anymore. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!