Author Topic: Spining arrows  (Read 6986 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Spining arrows
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:53:38 pm »
From what I've read and tried in the past in spining arrows the stiffest part goes against the bow.I want to shoot these arrows off a 48# bow.If on one side of the shaft it says 50# and the opposite side it says 42# will it fly good?I'm making hazel shoot arrows.Lighter mass weight wise than dogwood by quite a bit but has a good enough of a stiff spine & weight for good arrows.Ending up with arrows around 100 grains less then dogwood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Spining arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »
From what I've read and tried in the past in spining arrows the stiffest part goes against the bow.I want to shoot these arrows off a 48# bow.If on one side of the shaft it says 50# and the opposite side it says 42# will it fly good?I'm making hazel shoot arrows.Lighter mass weight wise than dogwood by quite a bit but has a good enough of a stiff spine & weight for good arrows.Ending up with arrows around 100 grains less then dogwood.
Oh I'm using FF string so spine needs to be about 5# stiffer then B50.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:46:28 pm »
I don't know Ed, I was going to ask you same thing. Also should weak side always go away or could it go up or down? I'm guessing away but not sure.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »
Some people make bamboo arrows that are meant to be shot nocked either way..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:02 pm »
Ed, I always put the stiff side against the bow. Other than that I don't normally use a spine tester.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
What's your arrow length and how heavy is the point?

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 03:50:09 pm »
For wood/dowel shafts I think I'd just make it so the grain goes against the bow, should be stiffer there and less likely to be split by the string? Now, if flipped 180 degrees, why would it be less stiff...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 03:52:33 pm »
Why put stiffest side against bow? If spine you want is achieved by using weaker side of shaft, why not put that side against bow?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »
Arrow length is 30".28" draw.The hazel are tapered some too.23/64" to 11/32".I've put 145 grain points on to take spine down a little farther and to beef up overall mass weight.Been waiting on rehydrating a bow that they are for from heat treatment/reflexing and got bored.Don't figure bow to be much more than 48#'s.It might surprise me though.Started making a small set of 1/2 dozen hazels for it.Spined 45 to 50 pounds.Might go with 125 grain points if bow has an increased draw weight.Don't want to cut nock in shafts till bow is ready to shoot.
Been on an ambition to make shafts out of a lot of different woods this summer.Walnut,honey locust,ash,& maple.Hav'nt tried black locust & hickory yet.Tried osage years ago[too heavy and weak of spine].Shoot arrows hazel is the latest.Tried dogwood and sourwood. Top of the list for my bows' draw weight are   
Douglas fir and walnut.Shoot shafts dogwood and sourwood and maybe hazel now too.
Made some multiflora rose shafts too successfully.
As far as bamboo goes tonkin worked great for me.No cane yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:14:08 pm »
Yes loon the reed side goes against the bow.Not the rift.
Knoll...that's what I'm wondering?????Were talking shoot shafts now so there is no reed or rift to it.Just a little tree shot off a bigger tree.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:15:48 pm »
For dowels the edge grain goes against the bow but for safety sake the grain "flames" should point forward so that usually leaves only one side.
 I learned about putting the stiff side against the bow from Art Butner(artcher1). Art is the best, by far, arrow maker I've ever known and a very generous person to boot. He taught me how to make cane, sourwood shoot arrows and snaky arrows but he also totally hand made doweled arrows with hand tools,even the 4 point footings and self nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:45:09 pm »

i always put the stiff side against the bow. But I only make cane and bamboo most of the time. Cedar shafts I put the runoff aginst the bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:52:52 pm »
For wood/dowel shafts I think I'd just make it so the grain goes against the bow, should be stiffer there and less likely to be split by the string? Now, if flipped 180 degrees, why would it be less stiff...

I think your right the opposite side is typically the same stiffness.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »
Why put stiffest side against bow? If spine you want is achieved by using weaker side of shaft, why not put that side against bow?

I think it has something to do with the release......the fingers rolling the string and putting bend into the arrow at release....with the stiffer side against the bow the effect is less on the arrow to bend
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:37 pm »
So on cane, would the weak side be the one that has the branches come out at the nodes? I got to put the branch of the closest node to the nock facing up from the Koppedrayer's bamboo arrows book..