Author Topic: Preferences of limb placements  (Read 1744 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Preferences of limb placements
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:25:20 am »
I was wondering what people prefer to do when selecting limb placements.Top or bottom with one limb having more reflex than the other.Do you put the more reflexed limb on the bottom or the top?A durability issue I quess.Maybe reasons too.This is when the bow is close to final tillered and holding it the string is dead center on handle etc. but handle is not carved in yet.I know lots or maybe most handles are carved in a way that the bow can be flipped to shoot off each side too and some people like to carve the handle in as close to center shot as they can too.
Personally I've done it both ways.Since a more reflexed limb usually has more material removed to get it to tiller with the bottom limb and may get weaker in time I've put it on top with 1/8" positive tiller and have done it the other way too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Preferences of limb placements
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:44 am »
I put the limb that I want to see the most on top. The rest is all sorted out through tillering, for me anyhow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:33:02 am »
All things being equal [alignment/limb length] I put the heaviest limb on the bottom.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:53:07 am »
If I put the deflexed limb on the bottom and tillered it 1/8" positive, my limb timing would be ALL screwed up.

I don't think it matters much where it's put if you tiller the bow so that the limbs are synchronized... instead of to a predetermined measurement. If so, and the deflexed limb is on the bottom, you'll likely see a negative tiller. If made so the top limb is the deflexed one, you'll end up even or positive at brace... depending on the degree of disparity between the limbs... and bow design aspects like location of longitudinal center.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:12:51 am »
Like Pearlie I usually put the most interesting limb up top but like others said the stronger limb goes on the bottom. All of my bows are symmetrical and on highly reflexed or recurved short bows I flip them occasionally to keep the limb stress even on both limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:20:05 am »
I put the most sound limb on bottom, generally.  Then I adjust from there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:45:44 pm »
I quess in the end it's how it feels when shooting and letting the good tiller take care of the durability aspect of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed