Author Topic: Heat bending old Osage  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Heat bending old Osage
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:31 am »
Hi Fellas I'm working on a 13 year old peace of Osage I want to put a minor flip in the tip like showen using the same caul as the hickory I did  I'm only flipping for string angle since this bow is only 57 in. & it will be pulling to 29 in draw with sinew , but having just come off a heat treat failure with hickory I figured I would throw it out here ,so walk threw what you do ,with older wood, seal ,steam, dry heat etc the only other osage I have worked with was 1 year off the stump & dry heat straitened it with out problems ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heat bending old Osage
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:44:22 am »
Your not asking for much a move there. Heat it up with a heat gun for about 3-4 minutes and bend it. No oil. Wait about 30 minutes, un-clamp it and do the other side.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:24:13 am »
I would use dry heat as well.  I just flipped the tips on a 25 year old stave with a heat gun. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:04:06 am »
Thanks figured that would work just was heat gun shy after over stretching the reflex on the last one didn't want to do any thing wrong  with this older stave That 25 yr old one must have a nice dark color realy like the patina on the older staves
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:02:24 pm »
looks like that bow is going to shoot like center shot,,nice,, :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 09:34:18 pm »
Hickory is a totally different beast to flip.  Osage bends easily with dry heat and the age of the wood doesn't mean much.  I put some pretty crazy hooks in one a couple of years ago and the stave was from a hundred year old fence post.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi