Author Topic: Not sure this is Redosier Dogwood, but I do not think so. Any ideas?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

I am almost certain that this tree/bush/shrub was red last fall after its leaves had fallen. I went back today to see if it was Redosier Dogwood because I was thinking about harvesting some shoots this winter for arrow shafts. I am not so sure it is Redosier Dogwood now that I have seen the leaves on it. Any idea what it is and if it would yield equivalent quality arrow shafts? By the way, this tree/bush/shrub is alongside a mountain creek (maybe 6,000 feet elevation or so) in Colorado. Thanks!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Not sure this is Redosier Dogwood, but I do not think so. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:46:21 pm »
Sorry don't know what it is but its not Red Osier Dogwood like ours.
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »
Sorry don't know what it is but its not Red Osier Dogwood like ours.
bjrogg
Yep. Did not think so. Wonder what the heck it is?
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »
It may be a type of willow but that's just a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »
It may be a type of willow but that's just a guess.

I had someone suggest that too. I do not think willow is a good arrow shaft choice, correct?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:26:02 am »
Sinicuichi (Heimia salicifolia) is my guess.

It looks like the ones I planted in the front yard anyway. Mine die every winter and come back at the end of spring, so that one is a lot bigger than what I'm used to seeing, but I'm 90% on my ID.
It's actually psychoactive. It's also called the sun opener by native peoples. Drinking tea made from the leaves or smoking the dried herb can have semi-euphoric effects. It can cause mild auditory hallucinations as well as giving the world a sunny yellow hue and providing an overall sense of well being.  It's no where near as potent as marijuana or alcohol for that matter, but it's totally legal. It usually has pretty yellow flowers this time of year, but that may come later in a desert climate. There's plenty of info available via google search. No idea if it will make an arrow. It might be worth a try. If it fails make a cup a tea and your defeat won't bother you at all.   :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
Interesting.

Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled for yellow flowers and in the meantime look for my old copy of The Politics of Ecstasy.

Thanks for the insight.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »
I am no plant expert, just obsessed with them. But from the looks of it, it is purple osier willow (Salix purpurea), an introduced species of willow from asia and the baltic region.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »
So smoke some, if your headache gets better it's willow and if your headache gets waaaayyyy better it's Sinicuichi ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 01:20:51 pm »
I've never heard of purple willow. It looks like I may have been wrong. I thought willows stuck close to water for the most part or I may have thought pussy willow at first. When it fruits or flowers it will be easy to tell for sure.

If you were looking forward to it being sinicuichi, PM me your address. I usually end up with more than I can use. I gift it out all year until the next harvest and still have some from last year. There are hundreds of seeds in with the herb as well, if you were inclined to sow some.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:53 pm »
I like the Purple Osier Willow (Salix purpurea) theory; well, I like all the theories thus far. I will keep looking for any flowering.

After some research, I now know that willow has been used for arrow shafts, with mixed results.

Thanks, guys. Always interesting.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »
I've never heard of purple willow. It looks like I may have been wrong. I thought willows stuck close to water for the most part or I may have thought pussy willow at first. When it fruits or flowers it will be easy to tell for sure.

If you were looking forward to it being sinicuichi, PM me your address. I usually end up with more than I can use. I gift it out all year until the next harvest and still have some from last year. There are hundreds of seeds in with the herb as well, if you were inclined to sow some.

Thanks! Here in CO the real stuff is legal 8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 03:31:53 pm »
CrazyHorse, if you take a sample of this plant to the County Extension office they should be able to ID it for you.
 Willow was used for arrows by some tribes. The Eastern varieties are too light and thick for good arrows. The Western varieties might be different.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 04:08:30 pm »
CrazyHorse, if you take a sample of this plant to the County Extension office they should be able to ID it for you.
 Willow was used for arrows by some tribes. The Eastern varieties are too light and thick for good arrows. The Western varieties might be different.

Cool! Good call. Will do.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:02 am »

Thanks! Here in CO the real stuff is legal 8)

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed out there longer. Then again, considering the town I lived in got washed away a few years ago, it was probably for the best that I left when I did;)
~Terrance McKenna