Author Topic: Ace Roll-R-Straight experience?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Adam

Ace Roll-R-Straight experience?
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:37:48 pm »
Anybody have any experience with the Ace Roll-R-Straight?  I just tried one out and must not have been doing something correctly.  I put the arrow on a flat table with the curved side up so it was above the table then rolled the tool back and forth on the shaft.  Nothing seemed to happen?  How hard should I be pressing?  I was afraid to push too hard and crush the fibers.  Maybe it's just the arrow I was working on.  It was a hardware store dowel (good grain) and is pretty curved.  Thanks!

Offline TimBo

Re: Ace Roll-R-Straight experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:43 pm »
I have used a similar tool (Shaft Tamer), but not the Ace version.  I think if you are not getting results, you need a bit more pressure.  Use the minimum it takes to straighten the shaft.  It is supposed to compress the fibers somewhat - that's how it works - but I'm sure you don't want to overdo it.  Those tools probably work best on softer woods like Port Orford cedar. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:30:48 pm »
I have one I use occasionally and it always worked fine for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:03:54 am »
I saw someone using one and it had to be pushed past the "level" plane.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:19:24 am »
Pappy made one with, I think a cabinet drawer roller that works good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:20:40 am »
I've seen a pulley used as an arrow straightener using the pulley wheel as the roller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 10:41:26 am »
I made one. Turned the wheel on the lathe and mounted it in the handle of my arrow straightener. I must of done something wrong because it doesn't work for me. I almost have to put my full weight on it to get any result at all. Maybe made the radius of the groove too small.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »
Thanks guys!  You're all a wealth of information!  It sounds like I wasn't putting enough pressure on it.  I was pressing down with maybe a couple pounds of force.  I've seen enough pictures of shattered arrows sticking out of forearms that I'm leery of damaging shafts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:11:43 am by Adam »

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 09:14:32 pm »
I have one and it seems towork alright. I pull up a little on one end of the arrow so its a little past straight as I roll it across the bend . Try light pressure at first and if it doesn't  straighten i increase pressure a little at a time untill it does. Different materials require different amount of pressure.
Steve Bennett

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:33:25 am »
I have one, works really good for me. Bigger bends I straighten by hand then do the small tweaking with the tool. I lay it on my desk top and roll it. My mate who taught me to make wood arrows built one from a pulley and a piece of yew for the handle. He reckons rolling it on the carpet works a bit better because you can put more pressure on it.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48:04 am »
I have several of them and they work fine for me, you have to push pretty hard and roll back and forth pretty fast. I use it for mirror crooks mostly and sometimes use a little heat. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:12:33 am »
Well, I tried again using more pressure and it worked much better. Thanks all!