Author Topic: The ones that make you WORK for it...  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: The ones that make you WORK for it...
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
Them are the kind of rings I dream about, looking good so far JW. Ha don't yall be making fun of my boy Newt. >:(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 12:48:29 pm »
I had concerns that the wood was still a little wet, so after finding the outline of the bow in the stave, I cut it down to dimension on a borrowed band saw and weighed it to the nearest gram.  It lost only one gram of weight overnight, so I placed it in the sun out in the yard for a day or two.  I knew it was not soppy wet, more like just very, very close to reaching stability with our climate.  At that point, it is safe to push a little harder, so I did.

I left it in the sun for several days, then moved it into my Jeep Cherokee and left it parked in the sun for several days when the temps were in the high 90's.  Again, no checks, but it lost 16 grams of weight and then stopped losing.  I realize osage CAN get too dry, so I left the stave to sit in my cool, shady garage and checked the weight daily.  After a week, it has gained back a just a single gram of weight.  At this point, I am very sure that the wood is right where it needs to be and I will start on final shaping, taking out some limb twist and getting the tips lined up through the handle. 

Some might think I am taking unnecessary risks by pushing things like this, but I think there is less risk than you are imagining.  You simply cannot push that hard on fresh cut wood, of course, but this piece was cut well over a year ago and Stringman knows how to treat it as it cures.  However, his relative humidity is a good bit higher than mine.  I have given the whole stave several weeks to adjust, following the weight down to the nearest gram.  I have checked and rechecked the rate of weight loss all thru the process and I kinda have a feel for when time comes to push and when to back off.  I have not had a stave failure, yet.  Knocking on my own wooden head!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 01:14:15 pm »
I love hearing and reading about a patient approach to bowbuilding, er anything for that matter. I just rarely exercise that sorta patience myself! No doubt, your precautions will serve you in excellent stead on this stave. I am really excited to see how this develops.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »
I love hearing and reading about a patient approach to bowbuilding, er anything for that matter. I just rarely exercise that sorta patience myself! No doubt, your precautions will serve you in excellent stead on this stave. I am really excited to see how this develops.

Funny, I got a private message that I need to be more patient and not push a stave....LOL
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.