Author Topic: Native American bow build challenge and showcase  (Read 76739 times)

Offline Thunder

Native American bow build challenge and showcase
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:02:28 pm »
Is anyone up for it? I think it's time for a build challenge to celebrate and showcase the Native American bows and arrows. Its a simple challenge, pick a style you like and build an authentic Native American bow (short, long, sinewed, horn....), arrows and matching quivers are optional. Maybe put them through a chrono if you have that option or a flight shoot and post all the info. I understand authentic strings are a little more difficult to build so I wouldn't be all that concerned with authentic strings, although they probably would make a difference in performance. I dont want to put a deadline on this, I'd like to keep it open so we can continue to add new builds or repost old ones so we have the NA bows in one place. I know we have some extremely talented people here and I look forward to seeing some beautiful work.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline sleek

Re: Native American bow build challenge and showcase
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »
Hey, I am all for this! Can we do it with no power tools and extra credit goes to using tools only available in the period?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Thunder

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 01:20:16 pm »
Hey, I am all for this! Can we do it with no power tools and extra credit goes to using tools only available in the period?
That sounds like an awesome idea, feel free to post a build a long as well.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
I like the idea of the NA challenge, and also the intent to keep (the rules?) simple. I think most folks here can see the finished bows/kits, and tell where the kudos are due, whether materiel, methods, performance or authenticity are the defining features.

I dont want to put a deadline on this

Are you proposing no deadlines for entry, finish or both?
Perhaps an ongoing thread, a showcase rather than a contest?

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »
Good, I hate deadlines  :D

wtb cherokee D bow, lakota self recurve, miwok sinew/cedar bows. though i guess tribes didn't always have bows exclusive and unique to them?..

Offline Thunder

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 02:31:12 pm »
I like the idea of the NA challenge, and also the intent to keep (the rules?) simple. I think most folks here can see the finished bows/kits, and tell where the kudos are due, whether materiel, methods, performance or authenticity are the defining features.

I dont want to put a deadline on this

Are you proposing no deadlines for entry, finish or both?
Perhaps an ongoing thread, a showcase rather than a contest?
No deadline for either, entry or finish...the idea is to keep the thread ongoing and showcase the many different syles of NA bows/arrows.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »
Love the idea. Count me in.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 03:14:32 pm »
Awesome idea I'm in !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 03:31:26 pm »
I'd like to give this a try. I'm wanting to do an early 1800's Choctaw bow for a lady friend at work that is retiring in December. This in honor of her husband that recently passed away, he was Choctaw and she is Kiowa. I had planned on just making the bow for display only but I guess I could make it low weight. I'd like to make a sinew sting but have never done it before.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 03:40:26 pm »
Hey Thunder, the old guy is 100% in on this sir.....about time for it also.
rich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »
Spoke with tipi stuff and I think he may get in on the fun as well. Com'on curt, let's here from you.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »
I'm in. I pretty much build Lakota bows exclusively so you know what I'll be posting.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 04:26:13 pm »
I might get in on this. Can we put a rule on finish materials and string materials?
No poly, tru oil, ect. 100% true to date finish such as rendered fats and pigment paint?
Rawhide/sinew, natural fiber string?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Thunder

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 04:43:03 pm »
I might get in on this. Can we put a rule on finish materials and string materials?
No poly, tru oil, ect. 100% true to date finish such as rendered fats and pigment paint?
Rawhide/sinew, natural fiber string?

I think everyone should be able to go as authentic as they'd like with their build. I don't want strict guild lines detering anyone away from the challenge.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »
Great idea Thunder. I think I'd like to give this one a shot since there is no deadline involved. Can't wait to see all the bows.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.