Author Topic: Native American bow build challenge and showcase  (Read 77261 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Native American bow build challenge and showcase
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »
 Here's one i built a few years back using measurements from an Ishi bow and adjusting according to how he measured his bows for length and width

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2016, 07:54:22 am »
Sweet!  What kind of paints did you use on this one bubby?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2016, 11:37:29 am »
All i had was craft paints next time i shiuld use pigment paint

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2016, 12:32:49 pm »
Hey, I think it looks really good, paint and all. You know, by the reservation period all sorts of paints were used. The earth pigments are are cool though.

Offline bubby

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »
Thanks slim

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2016, 06:52:36 pm »
Thunder, you said arrows and quiver optional, so I am working backwards. I have a stick picked out for my bow, but that will come later. I'm hoping to have this quiver completed in a couple of weeks. I still have quite a ways to go on it. This is Dictionary's sneak peek. I'll do arrows once the quiver is complete, and then the bow.  Curtis

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2016, 07:09:30 pm »
I quit!

Offline half eye

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »
Thunder,
       Sort of the same situation with the old man. I have built a couple Great Lakes bows to get "warmed up" and am also working on a Otter quiver and bowcase, and some split timber ash arrows.
I'll post the plain bows if you are interested..... I am taking this challenge very seriously.
rich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:54 pm »
Alright, not quiting. But that quiver is just....to cool.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2016, 08:45:50 pm »
I might have ruined this stave  :-[
I steamed backset(I thing that's the right term) into it and it looked good but once I got it back to a low brace again all the backset pulled out, and I found I can easily push it back and forth and it will hold where ever I leave it :-X

Offline Thunder

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »
Thunder, you said arrows and quiver optional, so I am working backwards. I have a stick picked out for my bow, but that will come later. I'm hoping to have this quiver completed in a couple of weeks. I still have quite a ways to go on it. This is Dictionary's sneak peek. I'll do arrows once the quiver is complete, and then the bow.  Curtis
That is beautiful, can't wait to see the rest of it.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Thunder

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2016, 01:08:35 pm »
Thunder,
       Sort of the same situation with the old man. I have built a couple Great Lakes bows to get "warmed up" and am also working on a Otter quiver and bowcase, and some split timber ash arrows.
I'll post the plain bows if you are interested..... I am taking this challenge very seriously.
rich
Hey Rich,
Post whenever you'd like, I've been tied up with one of my biggest clients since the day after I posted the challenge. I have managed to get 2 staves cleaned up and ready to go, but wont be able to get much done until this weekend.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:00 pm »
Dylan I would recommend the next time you leave the handle area a little thicker for back set.  This helps cut down on the stave wanting to straighten out. 

Offline Thunder

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »
Here's one i built a few years back using measurements from an Ishi bow and adjusting according to how he measured his bows for length and width

Hey bubby
That is some awesome work...how about posting some specs? Wood? Length? Etc?...curious minds want to know.  ;)

Cheers
Thunder

Offline half eye

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2016, 05:43:28 pm »
Thought I would post my "warm-up" efforts. I made a couple of bows, which are replicas of Eastern bows in museums. Both are made from scraps from the ironwood bow I recently made for Turtle.

First bow is a copy of a Bodewadmi bow located at the NMAI. Mine is 51", Ironwood self bow, 44#@25", made with stone tools, stained with boiled tobacco, and the finish is pitch/bees wax/ and grease. My string is single ply raw-hide but differs from the original in that mine does not have the "hair on". I think it is a fair representation of a plain Great Lakes style.

The second bow is also ironwood, 47" sinew backed double curved. The bow is NOT skinned but is painted with oxide pigment in glue, then finished with the usual pitch and grease. Made with steel tools. The bow is painted in the common (Ojibwe) Chippewa manner of solid color with bands at mid limb....I reversed the color palate from a actual portrait picture....

Hope you like them. PS: now on to the serious work.
rich