Author Topic: Native American bow build challenge and showcase  (Read 77262 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Native American bow build challenge and showcase
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2016, 03:10:23 pm »
I guess I lied. It won't allow me to attach photos. I'll try on a computer later, but for now, just picture it in your head based on my description. Thanks for imagining

Eric

Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2016, 03:38:39 pm »
Let's see if this works
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:31 pm »
Finally got it! Had to reduce imagine size
Eric

Offline half eye

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2016, 04:02:59 pm »
Gpw, I ask straight up....will you please remove your post from this thread sir.... The whole idea is to highlight and enjoy Native American bows for their intrinsic beauty. PVC does not do that.

Jon, that bow is looking most excellent sir....not as good as the one ya sent me though >:D should have photos up here in a day or so.

Slimbob, sorry about your bow, I'm sure we will get to see more.

Really sweet Mr. Desert.

I'm nearly done with my two sets, and a photoshoot of the Shawnee bow that Jon W. sent me.
rich

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2016, 06:29:14 pm »
Nice looking bow there HD like the art work does look to me like it's bending a bit much in the handle ,how does it shoot ?  nice job
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline loon

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2016, 07:25:48 pm »
Looks awesome. It's a crime to upload those pictures so tiny, and they'll get pruned... please try an image hosting site

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »
It seems too shoot pretty decent, as decent as a short bow can. As much as I love short bows, they are not all that comfortable to shoot due to the string angle. They sure spit the lightweight-for-draw arrows tho.

loon....I dont know what that means. "Image hosting sight"??? like photobucket?

Eric
Eric

Offline loon

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2016, 01:26:37 am »
like photobucket, or just https://imgur.com/upload

Short bows are perfect with my thumb draw, but I'm still not sure that I really like the stacking. Still I'm too clumsy and hit everything in my way with a long bow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:14 am »
Those short D bows are hard for me not bending to much in the handle with needing all the working limb you can get ,the one Im  doing now Im trying real hard not to ,hope you can figure out how to post bigger pictures so I can admire your bow more.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2016, 01:13:59 pm »
Heres a little number i'm currently working on.  Its a 45.5 ttt osage.  I'll be posting more pics as I go.  Wish me luck

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:59 pm »
Heres a little number i'm currently working on.  Its a 45.5 ttt osage.  I'll be posting more pics as I go.  Wish me luck

I hear there is a cop here in Rapid City that is looking to run into you again!  You kinda made an impression on him.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2016, 01:29:53 pm »
Yes, I was a bit taken aback at first.  I mean come on, Its not everyday a cop in uniform  asks "Are you Joe?.............I hear you make bows".  Talk about sweating bullets.  In any case, it was good to meet him.  Hope to make bow shavings with him soon.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2016, 02:55:31 pm »
I'm still laughing about the guy posting a PVC bow on here....
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2016, 05:15:35 pm »
Sweet looking bow Eric
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2016, 07:54:01 pm »
well fellas, I managed to get a couple of "sets" done. This is the first one to post up.

Bow is 47" ironwood, and a replica of a Bodewadmi (Potawatomi) scalloped bow down to the scallop colors. The onlky difference is that this bow is shorter than the 54" original. The bow draws 46/47# @ 25"......the string is single ply deer raw-hide. Finish is pitch/grease/wax.

Bow case, quiver, bandolier and pendant are river otter (thank you Don Burchett and Gutshot he got the tan down perfect for my specs and made the whole job easier) I wanted to pay tribute to "Mediwewin" so all the material and decoration is of non-white type. The skin side of the strap, quiver rim, and pendant are oxide and hide glue.

The small scraps of otter hide I made a belt sheath for a matching skinner/ scalper. The knife is antler grip and the blade is Wyoming Oil Chert (very hard) made by Mr.Dan Hamblin. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Supposed to have a nephew come over tomorrow to get some full draw pics for me.

Whole bunch of pics....hope not too many. I also hope to flight shoot the bow tomorrow as well.
rich