Author Topic: A few arrows  (Read 5846 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
A few arrows
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:03 pm »
Here's a few arrows I made. First ones in a while. Haha Serviceberry, oceans pray, and Japanese arrow bamboo. First real feathers in a long time too!(thanks to Blayne) I really like the way they shoot. Anyways just thought I'd share. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: A few arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
nice looking arrows ....glad they shoot good for you
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:26 pm »
nice!

I need to find lots of oceanspray somehow  >:(

Heads just self tapered usual field points? But with wrapping on the bamboo?.. and maybe a foreshaft.. or plug?

I can see oceanspray's the heavier one :p
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:11:39 pm by loon »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:34:52 pm »
Those are some good looking arrows. If you use Tonkin you will not need foreshafts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 06:09:28 pm »
Thanks guys! No fore shafts I just plug em with bamboo chopsticks. And I'd use Tonkin but I never seen any growing here.
Loon, they actually all weigh the same +/- 10 grains. About 600 grains. And yeah I just tapered them to 23/64ths and used a taper tool and field points. Wrapped em' just to be safe. Where are you located? Cheers- Brendan

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:23 pm »
Nice looking arrows.

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »
Thanks guys! No fore shafts I just plug em with bamboo chopsticks. And I'd use Tonkin but I never seen any growing here.
Loon, they actually all weigh the same +/- 10 grains. About 600 grains. And yeah I just tapered them to 23/64ths and used a taper tool and field points. Wrapped em' just to be safe. Where are you located? Cheers- Brendan

Northridge, Southern California

Haha I thought it was heavier because the diff. colored one hit lower and more angled. But that one is bamboo?

For more image detail you could upload in postimage.org - and they might not get taken down in a few years

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:49:21 pm »
Yes lower one is the bamboo. Thanks, I might have to try the picture thing. I wish there just was no size limit. Oh well. You   got no ocean spray down that far eh?

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
No idea, I have to learn how to ID it and find time and a place to look..

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:33:59 am »
Get out there and learn. Haha it's everywhere! Just Google Drive it and it's all over California as well. Cheers- Brendan

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:39:18 am »
I'm glad it's everywhere then, it seems like extremely good stuff
Thanks

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:49:05 am »
Those arrows look great!  I'm trying to make some arrows myself, using bamboo.  I'm curious, why the wrap behind the head?  I have noticed on test fitting some of my field tips that there is a little gap on some of the shafts, does the warp behind the tip help to cover that and keep the tip on?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:21 pm »
Cool display penderbender.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:16 pm »
Those arrows look great!  I'm trying to make some arrows myself, using bamboo.  I'm curious, why the wrap behind the head?  I have noticed on test fitting some of my field tips that there is a little gap on some of the shafts, does the warp behind the tip help to cover that and keep the tip on?

The wrap keeps it from splitting. Bamboo has very little "sideways" strength(if that makes sense), it splits easily. A few wraps of sinew or thread and they're bulletproof.
Same on the nock end.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:53 pm »

The wrap keeps it from splitting. Bamboo has very little "sideways" strength(if that makes sense), it splits easily. A few wraps of sinew or thread and they're bulletproof.
Same on the nock end.

Awesome, thanks DC!
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle