Author Topic: 300  (Read 5831 times)

Offline DC

« on: September 08, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »
I recently extended my backyard range to 18 meters(20yds) so I marked up my target like a FITA target and I've been shooting a few 300 rounds each day. I'm not terribly impressed with my shooting. After 5 days and 10 rounds my low score is 75 and high is 126, average 98. I've been shooting for two years. Can anyone compare this with their results?

Offline Swamp Thang

Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:18 pm »
Never tried keeping score.....but I myself due to the nature of my job didn't get to shoot for months and when I picked it back up I was all over the place.

If you have the trust and time might I suggest following these steps for one week and let us know if they work for you. Stand five yards away and keep sinking arrows (not too many otherwise risk damaging good arrows) until you can pull back and release at anchor without aiming much move two steps back repeat until over the week. It feels foolish at first but it worked for me.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »
I've heard of this. Do you just do this exclusively or can you do other shooting?

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »
for those who don't feel like googling

The target face for the 300 Round is a 5 color FITA target face. At the 20 yard distance, this target should be 40cm in diameter

from http://www.rovingarchers.com/tournaments/monthly-tournaments/target-archery/300-rounds/

My goal is a 230 average or so.. :\ But I hit all over the target, sometimes miss, most of the time.

I think I put 3 arrows in the gold in a row once in my life.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »
Use a backstop and about 3' in front hang a small object. I use a magnolia seed pod. Shoot at this small object and don't worry about the misses.  I have a piece of 1" metal conduit bent to a tall "U" shape to hang the seed pod from. When you hit it it swings making it interesting to shoot at.   I don't like to shoot at a target per se because there is too much to interfere with my concentration. Shooting at a small object with a neutral background helps me concentrate on that one spot. Even on a large target butt I use a very small spot to shoot at. For me at least a bulls eye target is too busy and interferes with my concentration. Plus, I've never seen a deer with a bulls eye on it's side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »
DC...That shooting real close not worrying what you hit is for your form and anchor memory of your body and mind or a certain place you touch on your face before letting loose if snap shooting.To get yourself used to that.To be consistent in form and anchor.Then worry about shooting farther away.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:23 pm »
I've heard it works even better if you wear a blindfolded for that first 5yd start point. Until you get a comfortable form aiming is a distraction.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:20 pm »
OK, that's 75 arrows from 5 yds. Am I an archer yet ;D

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:52 pm »
If you can make the bow launch the arrow you're an archer. Becoming a skilled archer on the other hand has a bit more effort involved.  ;)
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 06:58:24 am »
I've heard of this. Do you just do this exclusively or can you do other shooting?

All kinds I just do this if I'm feeling Rusty. It's not the number of arrows at 5 yards but the quality of the shot once you hit it center most of the time step back for a bit everyday start over until you can move back sooner

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 09:58:31 am »
 I am too used to a compound  where if I hit at 20 then I can move on to thirty and forty no problem, slowly moving back makes much more sense

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 10:23:39 am »
In the historical society I'm in we shoot whats called a Royal Round, it goes like this:

6 arrows (no time limit) at 40 yards,
6 arrows (no time limit) at 30 yards,
6 arrows (no time limit) at 20 yards, and
timed round (30 sec.) at the 20 yard target with unlimited arrows

The target is a 60 cm FITA, five color face.

Scoring:
Gold=5, Red=4, Blue=3, Black=2, White=1.

I currently have a score of 33 but I haven't shot a RR in a while and I've gotten better, lol.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:04 am »
I did a bunch of surfing for Royal Round and couldn't really find a top score but it looks like 100 or better is really good. Is that right? I can't do multiple distances in my yard, 20 yds is about it.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:31:37 am »

All kinds I just do this if I'm feeling Rusty. It's not the number of arrows at 5 yards but the quality of the shot once you hit it center most of the time step back for a bit everyday start over until you can move back sooner

Ah, so you're not doing the blind bale thing. You are aiming at something. I will endeavour to persevere. :D 

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
I did a bunch of surfing for Royal Round and couldn't really find a top score but it looks like 100 or better is really good. Is that right? I can't do multiple distances in my yard, 20 yds is about it.

Correct, the top two archers in my kingdom have 101 and 107.