Author Topic: 300  (Read 5833 times)

Offline DC

Re: 300
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 02:06:38 pm »
Well Swamp I was getting a little disillusioned with your method. Since I was used to 20yds and moved up to 5 all my shots were about 6" high, as I expected. I started to think that this was going nowhere cause I'd be spending all my time readjusting for range each time I moved back. So I thought I would just shoot my 300 for the day. It's looking like rain anyway. I shot 141, my best by 15 points. And that's with my usual one stray in each group of 3. If I could control that "one" I'd be a happy man. So I think there is something to your system. I just need a sandbank or something larger to shoot at, I'm tearing the he!! out of my target face.
Thanks

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »
It does work gotten me up to 80 yard shots.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 06:45:20 am »
How goes it?

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »
It helps. I finally got a backdrop I can shoot at. I had a piece of fake black velvet about 6'x6' I used as a backdrop for taking pictures of my bonsai trees. It's a light stretchy fabric, a little lighter than stretchy denim. I stand about 5yds from it. I grabbed some random shafts and put pencil erasers on them. If I hit the cloth about 2' from the bottom it catches the arrow nicely and just drops it on the ground. I've used it a couple hundred times and it shows no sign of wear. I think the stretchy helps. My shooting improves when I do this but I drop right back to square one if I miss a day or so. Like the last week when it rained the whole time. When I used the backdrop my scores went up to 140 one day but then it rained for a few days and I shot 71, my lowest ever. Just to old to start something I guess. I videoed myself and other than dropping my arrow hand I can't see anything obvious. I put the vid on slow speed and the arrow has long gone by the time I drop my hand. It does sort of look like both my arms are waving around a bit and that would account for the inconsistancy but I have no idea how to fix that. A time machine, maybe ;D 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 04:45:53 pm »
We used to have a public indoor range in town and would meet up on Tuesday and Thursday nights to shoot spots.

We did this a LOT so I got pretty good at it snap shooting instinctively. I averaged around 250 and shot a high of 278 a few times.

Bear in mind I wasn't shooting a selfbow at that time and was shooting a Bighorn recurve with aluminum arrows. I suspect my scores would drop about 30 points if I was shooting a selfbow and wood arrows.

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:35 am »
I need a consistent draw length (shoot the moment I feel the arrowhead..? like a clicker) and to not drop the shoulder, arm or jerk on release (harder with my bows that are all too heavy)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 08:59:37 am »
Yeah, wish I didn't live in a tiny apartment so I could set up a block or something at close range to practice my form regularly, my work schedule and the Florida weather prevent me from getting to the range but maybe once a week.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 11:56:00 am »
I went to the range last night. It was beginners night so I asked one of the instructors to watch me and see what he could see. Wouldn't you know, I shot the best I've shot for a long time. I was shooting groups!! Not tight groups but definable groups just the same. He said,"You're doing fine, I don't know what you're complaining about."  Crap! Maybe I'll try again whith another instructor.

Urufu I really think my hanging cloth would work in an apartment. It catches the arrows well. You need about 4-5" behind it and enough room to shoot in front of it. It may be a tiny bit risky, how good are you with drywall repairs ;D ;D ;D

Offline loon

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:02 pm »
Shooting from 2-5 meters away helps. I use a box with carpet on it, I think paper shavings and maybe plywood as a backstop would work well

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:53 pm »
Space is only partially the issue, the two rambunctious boys, the brother-in-law and the wife are the real issues, I'd have to yell FORE! before every shot, lol.