Author Topic: bow length  (Read 10520 times)

Offline jayman448

bow length
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:54 am »
hey guys. i haven't pestered you with a question in a long time so i figure its time i throw one at you. i am starting to wonder about a longer bow. currently im shooting a 58 inch bow and was wondering if there is any truth to the notion that a longer bow is easier to shoot. more forgiving or whatever the case may be. if so im thinking of trying out a bow thats maybe 64-66 inches long and seeing how that goes regarding accuracy

Offline loon

Re: bow length
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:48:31 am »
I wonder if it makes sense to practice mostly with a shorter bow or not.. and practice less and hunt with a longer one?
there's a pretty big consensus that longer is more forgiving...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:07:13 am »
Bow length is relative to draw length. I draw 28" plus and a "long" bow for me is 68". How far do you draw? 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:52:18 am »
A longer bow is more stable than a shorter one. IMO, that would make it easier to shoot accurately.
 I would suggest that you practice with the bow you plan to hunt with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:07:48 am »
I prefer a 62/64 at my 26 inch draw, I don't shoot shorter as consistent for some reason. :-\ Some folks do, just not me. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:08:41 am »
I prefer a short bow with a long draw (anyone remember that song by Cake, Short Skirt and a Long Jacket, but I digress) cause I'm a glutton for punishment, lol.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »
My hunting long bow friends of quite a few years and me all believe longer bows are more stable and accurate,but that does'nt mean a person can't learn to shoot shorter bows accurately.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 06:51:34 pm »
Ok I got this one,,  :) 
well I hunted with a 66 inch self bow this year,, I usually shoot a shorter bow,, and with practice can be very accurate with the shorter bow,,
what I found this year is after stump shooting for weeks and getting my form really tuned up,
the 66 inch bow will out shoot my shorter bow,, I have a 56 inch bow I really want to shoot deer with,
but when I shoot it  compared to the 66 inch bow, the pin point accuracy on the longer bow is a little better,, sooo
I am thinking of just sticking with my longer bow for the oct deer season,,
I hate to admit it,, but I feel like the shorter bow just stacks a little bit more than the longer bow,,
the draw is just a bit smoother on the longer bow,, and that has translated to a little more consistant release and shot,,
dont get me wrong , I love the short bows and go crazy when people say they are not accurate, they are,,
but I am about convinced the longer bows are just a bit more accurate,, for all the obvious reasons,,
after shooting alot this year and out to 60 yards,, thats how I feel today,, :) but just let me make a new short sinew bow I am in love with ,, and things could change,,  :) :) :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »
All bows are accurate. It's the nut behind the string that makes the difference. I shoot bows from 68" to 47" and do pretty well with both but when I started building and shooting short(60") sinew backed recurves, etc. it took me a while to be accurate with them. Once I worked that out they are like shooting any other bow...but a longer bow is more stable in hand and that should translate to more accurate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:12 pm »
I hate to admit it,, but I feel like the shorter bow just stacks a little bit more than the longer bow,,
recurve and reflex :p

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 03:27:08 am »
so my draw length is about 27"... i say about because i short draw to 26 or out to 27.5 depending on my stance. im  shooting 58" bow. i mean im well enought that i trust myself out to 20 yards or so but if the general consensus is that longer is better than im considering trading out the shorty for something a little more beefy in the hand... ( i also wonder if weight has much to do with it too. my shorty is so darned light. was considering putting a quiver on it and seeing how that changes things)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »
Jayman, thats were it gets tricky,, if you are used to that bow, then a longer one may not be more accurate,, just because it is longer,,
the bow has to fit you,, and be a design that works for you,, handle etc etc etc,,
it really depends on the bow and how it shoots for you,,
I hunted alot with a short 25 inch draw bow,,and shot it well,,for hunting,,, but if you are talking accuracy past 30 yards it would not hurt to try a longer bow,, but I would not trade the shorter one,,cause you are going to need it to hunt a blind or tight brush,,

yes Loon you are right bout that,,

Offline StickMark

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
Love this topic.
Hunt southern Arizona.  Up close, but relatively open terrain.
Shot last deer on my rear side, 60 inch hickory bow.
Played with longer bows, trying both a more vertical hold/lower anchor, with a sight (nail taped on), and a then a considerable slant while holding.

Right now, bow is yellow birch pyramid bow, 66 or so inches.  Had a coues jumped the string at 22 yards, but was able to release from my haunches with does within 10 yards of me.

I keep the longer bows with rigid handles, as this helps with spine. I draw 25 inches, and think a lot about simple d-bows.  But my bow woods in the pipeline are juniper, some Az Ash???, and boards that I will get on sale next saturday.  I trust board bows more with handles and wide wtdth.  So I need to live with length.  Plus, I am seriously learning to shoot over the proverbial 20 yards.  Coues jump strings. THe longer bows seem more accurate.

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 03:48:48 am »
Thinking I'd like to hunt with a 66" asymmetric by a foot pyramid bow with flipped tips, 50#@29", heard asymmetric bows store more energy...

Offline jayman448

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 02:30:56 pm »
that asimetrical idea is kind of a neat concept. your thinking of lower limb clearance for kneeling shots right?