Author Topic: Timber Rattler - Linden, Al  (Read 2225 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Timber Rattler - Linden, Al
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:14:12 am »
  A guy I work with sent this pic to me yesterday.  His neighbor killed it.  I am always finding out about snakes like this after the fact...  Would have backed a big bow, huh?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Timber Rattler - Linden, Al
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:15:31 am »
That sucker would eat a pocket dog.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:19:00 am »
I think there is a little of the "hold it out toward the camera and make it look bigger" thing going on there, but still....  The guy holding it is supposed to be six feet tall.  It's dang head looks like it was carrying a pint of venom.  I would hate to get bit by that sucker down where I hunt.  It would make for a bad day.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:28:06 am »
Ahhhhh yes, the ol' Bill Dance trick. Used it many times myself ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:02:36 am »
It's not out of the question for a timber rattler to get that big. Several years ago in E. TX one was in my yard that was almost that big.

The snake does not appear to me to be closer to the camera than the man is, but it does look like it may have been photoshopped. A couple things hint that they are two separate photos put together. What is the square thing/ring the snake is hanging on? Where is the rest of the square thing? Is the square ring on a stand? Is he holding some part of the square ring? Where is the man's R arm? Zoom in on the snake and look at it's edges. The contours on part of it don't look right.

WA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:21:11 am »
   It was just over six feet long and there wasn't any hocus pocus with the picture as far as I know.  The guy who sent it to me saw it and said it was huge - "big around as an oil can" - yep, we are old enough for that analogy to make sense :D    Not sure what kind of tool he grabbed it with.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 09:41:50 am »
Looks like a fire pit tool to me.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 09:46:54 am »
I've had several timber rattlers some really big ones but none was no longer that 56". I'm going to say that's a big one but with a little trick photography to make it look bigger than it is.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 10:31:44 am »
If that snake is anywheres near to the guys body,
which it is not. The snake would be over  8 foot long.
Yikes!
If it is over six feet it is record size. Biggest recorded is
6 foot 2 inches. Don't tread on me >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 08:19:53 pm »
I'm just looking on my phone but I think I count 14 rings on rattle. I'm not sure if that's a lot but the skins I have are maybe 7. I was told one for every year not sure if that's true. I don't have to worry about getting bit by one of those just a whole bunch of mosquitos.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
When i was around 12 i killed one that was 5'4" 21 rattles and a button so for 14 it would be huge
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹