Author Topic: Hello From Wisconsin  (Read 7245 times)

Offline StumblyRhino

Hello From Wisconsin
« on: September 16, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »
Hey fine folks,

My name is Lucas. I've been surreptitiously sucking up your knowledge and expertise for a while now, so I figured it was time to de-lurk, and introduce myself.

Couple years ago I had to cut a mature shagbark hickory that was leaning over my driveway.  I got a bunch of billets to carve into tool and axe handles which was my hobby before ever building a bow.  When I decided I should try to build a bow, I started googling around, and was often brought to threads here.  I took half a dozen staves from the stump log of that tree, and with your unknowing guidance and that of the Bowyer's Bible Vol. 1, I proceeded to mangle three of them and make three moderately functional hickory selfbows.  Not much artful or graceful about them, unlike much of the work done here, but they shoot in the general direction I point them, and one of them doesn't even rattle my teeth too badly. ;)

Anyway, I've recently taken another hickory and a bunch of buckthorn from my woods.  When googled info on buckthorn bows I again ended up here, so I figured I better actually join up instead of merely leeching in the dark corners.  Not that I have a lot to contribute in bow building after three bows, but maybe someday I will.

Cheers!

Go Badgers!

Offline Aaron H

Re: Hello From Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:01:58 pm »
Welcome aboard Stumbly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:39:55 am »
Welcome aboard Badger. You might be surprised what you have to contribute. Lots of things pop up on this site. Its a very eclectic group. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:52:32 pm »
Hey, Lucas...I started the same way a few years ago with TBB1, but with a hickory board instead of a stave.  I was so happy to find this site and its wealth of information and great people who are always willing to share what they know.  I've made 30+ bows now and realize that there is still so much for me to learn that I check back here all the time.
Where are you in Wisconsin?  I'm in Neenah.  Go Pack! ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
Hey, Lucas...I started the same way a few years ago with TBB1, but with a hickory board instead of a stave.  I was so happy to find this site and its wealth of information and great people who are always willing to share what they know.  I've made 30+ bows now and realize that there is still so much for me to learn that I check back here all the time.
Where are you in Wisconsin?  I'm in Neenah.  Go Pack! ;)

Hey man, we're practically neighbors.  I'm just south of Fond du Lac, near Lake Denevue (on Deneveu Creek, actually).  I went to school in Madison and stayed there for 20 years.  Loved it there, but it was eventually time to get back out in the country where I can shoot stuff and answer the call of nature on any convenient tree. ;D

Currently watching the Badger game, before I head out to the shop to take the hatchet to a year old buckthorn stave.  This'll be my first attempt at any bow that isn't pipe straight, clear hickory.

Go Pack Go!

Go Badgers!

Offline GB

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 05:30:21 pm »
Yeah, you're only 35-40 miles from me.  Small world. :)
Funny, I just started roughing out a Buckthorn bow last night.  Hope to work on it slowly until we get cooler, drier days and get the moisture content down before I tiller it.
This will be my first try with Buckthorn.  I've seen a few nice ones by other bowyers on here.
I grew up in Milwaukee and lived in Waukesha and Pewaukee before moving to Neenah 25 years ago.  I was always driving north to fish anyway, and am glad to be that much closer now.
Good luck with your bow!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 05:44:54 pm »
Hey StumblyRhino! Welcome aboard!
There are sure many experienced fellas here who won't hesitate in helping you in whatever type of problem you may have, just post a Thread and ask away!
Other than that, I'm sure there will be many of us who would be interested in seeing your handle wood-working skills!

Good luck on your new bowyer hobby!
~Isaia

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »
Welcome to PA Stumbling Rhino, I'm across the pond and on the other side of Michigan from you but I've been to airshow at Oshkosh a couple of times. I'm sure you'll have lots to contribute there's all kinds of stuff on here. It really is a great group of members here glad you joined.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise