Author Topic: Picking some vine maple staves  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Billinthedesert

Picking some vine maple staves
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:37:41 am »
Was up grouse hunting in the Oregon Cascades a couple of days ago and, with vine maple abundant, kept seeing staves everywhere.
Do those who often use vine maple have a strong preference regarding tension/compression orientation of the potential stave, or are you more focused on simply harvesting a stave that will give you useful and reasonable reflex?  I understand the bark is more easily peeled in spring.
I was re-reading Gordon's incredibly informative vine maple build-along and have a terrible jones ...

8)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Picking some vine maple staves
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 06:24:07 pm »
The skyward facing tension side is what you want for bows.  Cut it anytime, the bark comes off easy in spring but VM bark is very thin, and peels like a potato when dry

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
Thanks Wizardgoat!

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »
I try to pick vertically growing VM... The tension side works as wizardgoat said, but you have to mark the stave so youremember. The tension side on a more horizontally growing stave is more prone to having branches and tension wood is more prone to bending as it dries. So, for a beginner, vertically growing staves may be a safer bet.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:17 am »
I try to pick vertically growing VM... The tension side works as wizardgoat said, but you have to mark the stave so youremember. The tension side on a more horizontally growing stave is more prone to having branches and tension wood is more prone to bending as it dries. So, for a beginner, vertically growing staves may be a safer bet.

I could not agree more, tension staves are superior in many ways, but that's only if you are looking for high octane staves.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.