Author Topic: Good Bow - Bad Bow?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Drewster

Good Bow - Bad Bow?
« on: September 23, 2016, 12:58:43 pm »
This little hickory is growing near my house and I've looked at it for several years wondering if it will make a good bow.  It's about 5" diameter at the base.  I think the bigger tree fell across this hickory about ten years ago and the hickory has been growing in this position ever since.

Has anyone made a bow from a sapling like this?  Any advice?  Would appreciate any help.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Good Bow - Bad Bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »
Cant speak for Hickory specifically, but generally with any wood I have worked....I love me some natural backset, but I have found them harder to keep together, the more backset the more likely they have been to break during the build.  Still...love me some natural backset.  I would prefer it on the tension side.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »
I've made many sapling bows but they were straight growing trees. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »
Yup I think that should work fine! Make sure you get it good and dry. Hickory holds onto moisture

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »
maybe just pull a bit of the reflex out by clamping it down to cure,,,,
I do like the natural reflex,,

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:11:32 pm »
good question. could you get two staves from that tree?    Maybe make a deflex-reflex each stave.

bend the handle into deflex on the shady side stave, and bend the tips into reflex on the sunny side stave.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »
good question. could you get two staves from that tree?    Maybe make a deflex-reflex each stave.

Thats what I would do. And make em wide and short with a deep narrow handle shaped to fit the hand perfectly.

bend the handle into deflex on the shady side stave, and bend the tips into reflex on the sunny side stave.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:36:20 pm »
If you had cut it just a couple of years after it got bent it would have had a naturally applied  Perry reflex backing.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:22:30 pm »
Drew, I'd cut the tree and find the optimum stave(s) in it's length. Too much reflex adds a lot of stress to a stave just getting it to brace. When I add reflex to a stave I use a 2x4 block(3 1/2") and raise the tips to that. It usually comes out of the form with 2" to 3" and a flat or slightly reflexed stave when shot in.
 The heavily bent area could be made into billets and reflex reduced at glue up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »
I cut a 6" Osage Tay grew at a angle its core was right next to the bark on the lower side. The top Sid was a lot of sap wood and when I split it , it started twisting. Ended up fire wood. But the hickory could be ok