Author Topic: Minimum weight  (Read 4135 times)

Offline DC

Minimum weight
« on: September 18, 2016, 01:34:02 pm »
I'm getting a little fascinated with horn bows. Thanks Ed(I think) I keep hearing that at the lower weights there is not a lot of point using horn. I can understand that, I think. I don't think I'll ever pull much more than 45# so is there much point in trying to find horn and going through all the extra work. I have a fairly unlimited supply of yew and Ocean Spray, both good compression wood so is a horn bow something I should put on a back burner until I'm not feeling so boreingly logical ;)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Minimum weight
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 03:08:59 pm »
I think Ed's bow is pulling around 52 lb  I'm planing to make one of these bows but more of a native style in the 50 lb range  the way I understand it from Adam Karpowitz  book in a nut shell  if the bow is holding aggressive reflex & light mass it will out perform a wood/sinew bow being the composite material can be stressed to a higher degree I got a hold of a Gemsbok horn I plan on processing this winter I'm sure some body could explain that better but it would be interesting to see the numbers on a 45 lb composite bow I bet it could be built very light mass wise.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 06:22:06 pm »
yeah there's some 35lbs bamboo belly sinew bows with a lot of reflex, they seem like horn bows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:41:35 pm »
DC...the thing to keep in my mind if made right those little bows pull smoother than you think.So a 55 pounder could easily feel like a 40 to 45 pounder.Ask Mike.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:45:58 am »
I don't know if this guy ever built the horn version but this bamboo practice bow (based on the Tibetan style bow) is one of my favourite light weights: http://www.atarn.org/FAQ/bamboo_composite.htm

Offline loon

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:27 am »
Nice