Author Topic: Building a Hickory Selfbow  (Read 13686 times)

Offline Rain Bows

Re: Building a Hickory Selfbow
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »
Beadman, I have been storing the bow flat indoors after working. Just upright for photos. Roughly how this should my limbs be to start floor tiller? I've got the bottom limb ever so slightly bending but takes a lot of force. The bowyers bible said start at 3/4", and while I completely understand this is a starting point, was not even close to bending.
Genesis 9:12-16

Offline Rain Bows

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 07:43:28 pm »
How are we looking guys?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:07 pm »
Looking real good so far. Looks like the limb on the right maybe stiffer than the left over the whole limb
I like osage

Offline Rain Bows

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:44 pm »
I agree Joec123able. I'm going to shave that side down over the entire limb tonight. Once tiller is spot on, can I brace the bow right away or should I work it slowly? Already getting a bit of string follow with a very loose string pulled to 16".

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 09:59:32 pm »
Hmm you shouldn't be getting follow already. I'd suspect the wood may still have too much moisture if it's taking on string follow from a slight bend. I wouldn't brace the bow right away. I'd keep working out the tiller slowly om the long string to reduce the weight some.
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:15 pm »
A good pic....Actually my eye sees the right limb bending over all better than the left limb.The left limb is too stiff on the outer third or from midlimb out to tips.Bending too much from the fade.I dare bet the set your seeing is from the left limb mostly.I'd remove material from the outer third of your left limb.That will make your left limb weaker then overall possibly.Then I'd remove material from your right to get it balanced out.I would do that before putting it on the short string.If it does'nt take a tremendous amount of effort to brace it I would.Otherwise your too heavy yet.
Previous bowyers have said to weigh it to see if it has quit losing weight.I imagine by now it has.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed