Author Topic: Video Build Along 150# Yew warbow  (Read 15360 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Video Build Along 150# Yew warbow
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »
I've done 2 videos so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-fbKl33OU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4p4W6of4c
This pic is before I eased off that right limb which is a bit stiff just right of centre limb, and just right of grip.
It's back to 150# at 26" now, maybe some more tomorrow, I'll get the outers coming round some more.  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Ruddy Darter

Re: Video Build Along 150# Yew warbow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »
Good going Del, that looks a pretty nice stave too.. what length do you have on that stave?
  Looking forward to seeing progress, and good tip on drawing it to the intended weight throughout tillering, thanks.

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:48:51 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:14 pm »
Good going Del, that looks a pretty nice stave too.. what length do you have on that stave?
  Looking forward to seeing progress, and good tip on drawing it to the intended weight throughout tillering, thanks.
   Ruddy.
78 1/4 " ntn.
Nice stave, only problems are the grain is slightly diagonal, sapwood is a good bit thicker on one limb and a wicked undulation/knot near the end of the right limb, mind that will be a cool bit of character when it's finished if it doesn't explode. There's a bit of blue grey discolouration on it too in one patch, but it feels pretty sound.
Del

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
Nice length...should be a right punchy bow if you get near that weight. Best of luck with it.

Ruddy

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:33:27 pm »
Damn, what a thick piece of wood! Del, is any difference between tillering the warbow and tillering stiff handled bows? I mean, in regard to the rule you pointed out "always pull to the intended draw weight, see if it has even bend".

Also I didn't understood what you said about long string? Something about if its on that and that, then it is that on that? Yeah it sounds like gibberish, but didn't know how else to ask.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »
Tillering a warbow is same as any other bow except, you can't floor tiller it. If you can get it to flex on the floor, you are already under weight!
If you are using a long string (only just long enough to get on the bow) then the distance it pulls will be roughly the same as when its braced.
There was a long thread about this ages ago and someone pointed it out... may have been Badger?

Example...
Long string pulls down to the 20" mark at 100#
Brace the bow... it will be about 100# at 20"
Obviously this won't work if the long string is dangling down with 20" of slack! :laugh:
Del

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:43:23 pm »
Nice to see you doing something heavy. Looks like there is still a lot of wood to come off. Are you taking note of physical weight?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline meanewood

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:37:47 pm »
Looking good Del
What is the center width and depth?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:20 am »
Yes that is what I asked. Very interesting that long string and at the brace show practically same draw weight. This is definitely eye opener for me now, I'll use that reference in future.

Am I right to assume this bow would be thinner if it was Alpine Yew? And when starts process of applying horns?

P.S.
Few days ago I made double pulley, really strong, tiller tree so I am ready for the warbows. That is why I must read and ask everything.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:29:34 am »
Nice to see you doing something heavy. Looks like there is still a lot of wood to come off. Are you taking note of physical weight?
Nope... it weighs what it weighs.
However if anyone cares to predict what a 150# full compass Warbow of 78 1/4" ntn should weigh, I'll check it at the end.
Much as I admire the work that has been put into the mass theory, it's not the way I work.
Del
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:49:01 am by Del the cat »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 02:33:22 am »
Yes that is what I asked. Very interesting that long string and at the brace show practically same draw weight. This is definitely eye opener for me now, I'll use that reference in future.

Am I right to assume this bow would be thinner if it was Alpine Yew? And when starts process of applying horns?

P.S.
Few days ago I made double pulley, really strong, tiller tree so I am ready for the warbows. That is why I must read and ask everything.
I wouldn't make any assumptions about Yew based on it's ring thickness, colour, country of origin, altitude it was grown at etc.
I only use the long string thing on Warbows, I don't think its accurate or appropriate on lighter bows it is very useful on warbows as they are very difficult to brace early on.
Del
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:49:28 am by Del the cat »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 02:35:56 am »
Looking good Del
What is the center width and depth?
42.2 x 38.7mm
But I'll let you know when it's finished! :laugh:
Del

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 03:24:23 am »

P.S.
I wouldn't make any assumptions about Yew based on it's ring thickness, colour, country of origin, altitude it was grown at etc.
I only use the string thing on Warbows, I don't think its accurate or appropriate on lighter bows it is very useful on warbows as they are very difficult to brace early on.
Del

That is a stout stick Del!
Any bow will show accurate draw weight readings on the long string versus braced. the weight doesn't matter. It's quite handy really :)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:32 am »

P.S.
I only use the string thing on Warbows, I don't think its accurate or appropriate on lighter bows it is very useful on warbows as they are very difficult to brace early on.
Del

That is a stout stick Del!
Any bow will show accurate draw weight readings on the long string versus braced. the weight doesn't matter. It's quite handy really :)
Yeah, it's one of those things I learned late, but I'm happy to keep learning... With lighter bows I just like to get to brace early as IMO it gives a truer view of the tiller.
Getting this sucker to brace is a right palaver with the winch rope and the tiller rope both going through the pulley and Emily Cat patting at the loose ends :laugh: . She wanders through the workshop sharpening her claws on my target boss and looking for spiders like she owns the place... mind if she's in there when a bow explodes it will curb her enthusiasm >:D
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:08 am »
What is the easiest way to brace heavy weight bows? Btw, is that bow for you, i.e. will you shoot it or is intended for someone else?