Author Topic: Video Build Along 150# Yew warbow  (Read 15382 times)

Offline Strichev

Re: Video Build Along 150# Yew warbow
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 04:04:18 am »
What is the easiest way to brace heavy weight bows?

I'd say the answer is two people and a stringer.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 05:24:04 am »
I've found having a stringer that is as short as possible so it only just fits on, (I use two old bowstrings tied together.), then bend from the knees with one foot on the string while gripping the bow (with body weight on that foot) and just stand up keeping back straight and slip the top loop on with the other hand. I find it relatively easy this way, in fact I don't reckon there is a bow I can't string  like this. Do all the work with the legs.
(Oh..I also have the bow on a angle with top nock higher than the bottom one as I lift up, this makes it easier to slip the loop on.)

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:40:51 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 05:24:39 am »
What is the easiest way to brace heavy weight bows? Btw, is that bow for you, i.e. will you shoot it or is intended for someone else?
Once it's finished, a stringer (long string with a loop at each end, one foot on the stringer, pull and slide the real string into place)
At this stage it's more like a 190# bow so I use my winch too pull down on the stringer rope, as I don't want to damage my back. Stringing heavy shorter bows isn't so bad, but heavy long ones is a bit of a reach.
Like Ruddy Darter says, use your legs, but it's still easy to twist your back as you reach over to slip the string on.
Del
Every man is his own safety officer!
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 08:19:51 am »
That is pure deadlifting there. Shorten the stringer and make legs and lower back do all the work. Did archers in medieval times use stringer or did they use stepping through method?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 08:52:16 am »
Don't think anyone actually knows how they strung their warbows in medieval times, there will doubtless be plenty of people only too keen to offer their opinion though!  ::)
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 09:22:37 am »
My opinion is that they had stringers, and as horns have been eaten away throughout years we can't know if they had additional stringer groove or not. Although I think there were few surviving horns that serve as evidence of side nocks but they don't have additional groove.
Maybe they did step through method?

Are you gonna put side nocks or normal nocks on this bow Del?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »
It will have normal nocks, but clean simple tidy ones in pale horn.
It's coming back to 28" now and ready for the horn nocks.
Video here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ls4kK_dwqU
And here's a still, needs the right limb easing off, but that will happen when I fit the nocks.  :)
BTW. I won't be shooting it 90# is about my limit these days.
Del

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »
That's coming on very nice Del  8).

Ruddy.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »
Its very interesting to me how right limb is thicker then the left one and bends much more, except in that middle area. Probably has to do with slight deflex like you said in one of the videos you posted, Del.

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 12:33:00 am »
... With lighter bows I just like to get to brace early as IMO it gives a truer view of the tiller

I have been using a four point bend rather than the traditional three point bend with the long string. the resulting curve is much closer to what it would be if braced, allowing me to progress much further with tillering before bracing.  I damaged a few bows by bracing too early.

Anchoring the spreader to the wall with a couple of bolts might be prudent for a heavy warbow. Balancing it on the tiller tree seat has issues, even with a lighter bow. the stave in the pic was wonky from the tree, btw

Stalker, I have had good luck leaving the stave a bit long, and cutting temporary nocks outboard of the finish tips for easy stringing with a stringer. In fact I do it with all my bows now, not just the heavy ones.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:38:04 am by willie »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 01:27:13 am »
When do you make final corrections, I mean, narrowing the tips and so on?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 01:50:12 am »
When do you make final corrections, I mean, narrowing the tips and so on?
Today!  ;)
That's when I have the proper horn nocks on, the tips get blended into the limb from a 1/2" round section where it enters the horn for about an 8 - 10" length. I hate when people do a sharp taper over about an inch down to a hon nock... makes it look like the end of a pencil and adds a lot of weight.
Hope fully more pics later today as I tease it back towards 32"

The right limb is only a whisker thicker now, and is a little stiff, it may well all look "right" when it's finished, but maybe I'll reverse it and have the right limb as the lower, that's all part of that final tweaking.

I daresay someone could argue that if I'd made it accurately "by numbers" it would have come out right to start with >:D... but that's their call. To my mind you don't know what the numbers are until it's finished. I'll take some measurements and post 'em when it's finally finished so we can see how close the limbs are.
Del
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:43:32 am by Del the cat »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 08:26:55 am »
Nocks are on now and I've got it back another 2 inches.
Final clean up with a scraper and easing off any thick spots, corners etc will bring it home to 32"
All I'll need then is someone who can shoot it.
Out of interest, I can almost string it with a stringer now, but don't want to risk my back, it's the reaching out to slip the nock on that's the problem. It would be easy with two people.
I've had another idea which I probably won't try for fear of my back...
Very long stringer bow across the shoulders, feet on stringer, knees bent, back straight. Straighten the knees, slide the loop on at a convenient height with a nice straight back.
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 10:50:47 am »
But it's a whole lot closer to your head if it explodes :o :o

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:06 am »
...that'll hurt if it slips off your shoulders, I don't think I would try it..

That looks pretty good to me Del  8), looks like it will be a great arrow chucker, stocky and powerful.

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:42:20 pm by Ruddy Darter »