Author Topic: bowyery tools  (Read 7417 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: bowyery tools
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:56 am »
I would add my shave horse to the list. That and a draw knife makes a great team.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:11:10 am »
I hit the Good Will stores & pick up long handled paint scrapers also use a scraper plane that I love .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 05:05:06 am »
For me, a really sharp Jack plane is useful in getting rid of tool marks and trueing edges ready for the rasp -so I use hatchet, draw knife, plane, rasp and scraper

Offline ajooter

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 08:08:33 am »
What's a Swinton rasp?!  I meant Shinto!!  ;D

Offline cadet

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 08:14:40 am »
Another here has before suggested the dreadnought file; I've tried it, and it's a very useful tool.  I also get a lot of use out of draw knives and spokeshaves, not so much from rasps (shinto included) and scrapers - but still have them on hand.  On board bows, I use the plane quite a bit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 09:07:07 am »
My Stave Master bowyer's bench and my 14", 1hp bandsaw are both very helpful but not necessary...at least they didn't used to be.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:14 am »
Anyone else use a surform plane? I just started using one, and it does a great job of removing wood to get to the bending stage. I've never used a farriers rasp, I'm curious if those will remove wood just as fast as the surform.

Eric
Eric

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:02 am »
If I had to chose only 2 tools, they would be a draw knife and a belt sander.  From stave to finished bow, those 2 will get the job done.  Probably next would be a heat gun.  Every bow I make any more is tempered not to mention bending and straightening.  I use a rasp some, scrapers, calipers, but I could get by without them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »
To answer your question, loon, no.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline freke

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 04:30:06 pm »
Can't live without my axe:)

Offline scp

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 05:38:08 pm »
Even though I use my band saw and belt sander a lot for now, I'm trying to stop using them for possible health reasons. I will be using tools that make wood shavings instead of dust.

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:45 pm »
To answer your question, loon, no.
nyes? no what? the card scraper sharpening?

i figured, the scrapes are rather fluffy

meh i'll just get a spokeshave and try a paint scraper sharpened. are they sharpened the same as card scrapers?? they seem too bendy to push through wood... so i guess they would be pulled, just like card scrapers. maybe i should just make a handle for a card scraper
and eventually a hatchet. or a machete.. that could double as a drawknife :p

A machete actually sounds like it could be better than an axe, more controllable?

seems like a large gouge could be perfect for making tepeliks concave, and maybe for hld (concave belly) bows

current tools: shinto rasp, gyokucho razor saw (could work for roughing out, may be slower than hatchet/machete though), chisels, card scrapers, drill, vise.. and (edit) a rounded rasp, tekton

it took forever to make the tepelik surface concave with this rasp, probably because it is a curved surface and fir is ridiculously hard, should've used pine
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:51:56 am by loon »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 08:56:50 pm »
I use this cheap Nicholson woodcraft rasp to do almost all of my handle shaping.  It's half round and works great on the fades and contoured handle.  I'll use a couple of smoother files to clean it up.  If you want to put a good edge on your scraper check out the post in the how to section.  It's on one of the last few pages I think. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 08:58:58 pm »
Here is a link to the scraper sharpening post. 

https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:42 am »
thanks, adding a Mill Bastard  file to wish list..