Author Topic: Biltong?  (Read 12827 times)

Grasshopper Mouse

Biltong?
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:20:26 am »
Has anyone here made biltong?
Biltong is a South African version of our beef jerky... kind of.
It can be made of beef, wild game, or other meats. It's dried but not usually to the point that we do jerky.
I've read about biltong in African hunting books and stories and would really like to try making it. There is some good info on YouTube and on the internet but the balance of it refers to a beef cut called silverside. I have no idea what silverside is in the US. My local butcher has never heard of that cut. I'm hoping someone here knows what it is or can offer me some advice.

Thanks,  Guy

Offline jaxenro

Re: Biltong?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:30 am »
Exceptions, in which the meat is sliced parallel to the fibers, include the skirt steak that is cut from the plate, the flank steak that is cut from the abdominal muscles, and the Silverfinger steak that is cut from the loin and includes three rib bones

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:19:04 am »
jaxenro,
Are you saying these cuts of beef can also be used for biltong?
I have seen reference to using other cuts but the silverside cut seems to be the hands down favorite for traditional biltong makers. I just can't figure out what that's called here.

Guy

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:19:51 pm »
No just a reference to what silver finger or silverside is I think they might've the same thing ?

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:55:06 am »
It's rump roaat
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zedd

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:54:14 pm »
I lived in South Africa for a few years and biltong is fantastic. The best of all is Ostrich Biltong which is very very dry, flavor is unbelievable. With meat having a higher risk of going bad (heat and all) the South Africans figured out a way of maximizing the meat. The basic spices are vinegar, sugar, and salt. Then spices are added for seasoning. There are lotsa recipes on line that give different mixes, but its like anything else, everyone has their favorite. The meat is really not that important, nor is the cut, at least relative to making biltong. I've use roast cuts, steaks, flank steak, whatever is cheapest with the least amount of fat. However, it is easiest to eat if you cut cross to the fibers of the meat instead of getting long tough pieces. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:16 pm »
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I really appreciate it.

From what I've gathered, biltong is similar to jerky in that the cut doesn't matter a whole lot. But a lot of the recipes I've seen reference silverside so I thought I'd start with that if I could figure out what it is.
Cutting across or with the grain of the meat is like jerky, too. When I make jerky I cut with the grain because I don't want it to fall apart in my pocket. If I'm making it just for snacks I'll cut across the grain so it's easier to chew.

I could probably find ostrich meat if I searched but I doubt I"d want to pay the price. I'll watch for rump roast to go on sale and I may see about bottom round roast, another cut I've seen referenced as silverside.

The weather is a little hot right now so I may wait a couple months for things to cool off for plain air drying in a screen cage.

Thanks,  Guy

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:20:27 am »
I googled silverside beef that's where i got the rump roast
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:45:09 pm »
Go figure.
I Googled silverside six ways to Sunday and never came up with anything useful. I try it now and get all kinds of information.

Miserable computers...

Guy

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 04:52:09 pm »
I make lots of it. Just did up a batch using beef heart. Deer meat and lean beef are my favorite cuts. Last batch of beef I used a inside round. Cut it against the grain so it come off in smaller chunks. It can be pretty hard on the fangs other wise. I arrange on a baking sheet with a wire rack on too, baste with AC vinegar. They I sprinkle coarse salt and lots of pepper, plus some ground corriander. In the fridge overnight then to a location with good airflow and decent heat. Takes about a week. That reminds me I getta get on a batch for my SA hunting mate for our deer hunt in a couple weeks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:29 pm »
Anthropologists theorize that early man would steal leftover carcass bits that leopards had stashed up in trees.  The dried meat lasted much longer than fresh in that weather and need drove adaptation.  Small antelope and other game is commonly made into biltong because leopards could easily get them up into trees.  That also explains why elephant biltong is so rare!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline neuse

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:14 am »
I made some last week for the first time.
It turned out pretty good, the coriander has a good taste, about to make some more.
I hung mine in my smoke house with a fan on it, no smoke for this.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:25:14 am »
I found bottom round roast at Winco last night on the way home from work. I dropped in for some pie crust mix my girlfriend wanted and ended up getting a small pile of things. Isn't that the way all quick visits to the grocery store work?

In a few days I should have a review of some kind for my first batch of biltong.
I sure appreciate everyone's help on this.

Guy

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:46 pm »
For better or worse, it's in the drying box now.
I used a very basic recipe:
Sprinkle large salt on both sides of the meat, I used Himalayan pink salt that I found cheap, rest for a couple or three hours.
Brush off the salt and pat dry with paper towels.
Dipped meat slices in malt vinegar and sprinkled both sides with herb mixture. 
For the herb sprinkle I dry roasted coriander seeds, crushed them roughly in a mortar/pestle, added coarse ground black pepper and granulated garlic.

For the drying box I just got a clean cardboard box, cut some vent holes in it and added a small desk fan as well as a clamp-on light for heat. The meat is suspended by string from old arrow shafts.

Time will tell!

Guy

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:36 am »
The meat came out of the box yesterday.
I tried a bit and liked it but to get additional opinions I took a bit to work.
Since none of us have actually had biltong before we had to rely on the most basic of tests: did we like it?
I am happy to say we did.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice on this project. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

Guy