Author Topic: Modern nomadic life  (Read 10745 times)

Offline sleek

Modern nomadic life
« on: September 22, 2016, 05:10:11 am »
I have been living in my truck since the beginning of April.  You think you know how to survive in the woods, but when faced with urban survival, it becomes a different world. I am learning a lot of things, and feel like i could learn much more if I try to actually rough it more.

One very interesting thing I am surprised of, is that there seems to be an entire sub culture of people doing this very thing and most people never notice. Of course, when put in this situation, the very first thing your mind turns to is, how not to be noticed. You dont want to be a bother, or a target, or asked to leave where you like to park. So we all just blend in.

As I stay in multiple places in multiple states I notice the same vehicals doing the same thing I do. Park near light, close to surveillance, park out of the way of others and far from store entrances. Just the reasoning behind picking a good spot can become a lengthy discussion, but the point is, I see lots of people doing it.

Im going to bed now, will add more to this as I decide to write or discuss, but for now, I thought it would be neat to mention tje large number of people who are modern nomads practiced in the art of urban survival.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:08:06 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Modern nomadic life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:27 am »
Good luck to you sleek, I guess to each their own, I personal like a fix place and my own bed each night and work had to have and keep that. I am a routine kind of guy so that wouldn't work well with me and can assure you Miss Joanie wouldn't like it. I know life can happen and I guess if I had to I would, but thank the Lord I haven't had to do that yet. Be careful out there, lot of crazy people in this old world. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:43:56 am »
He'll that's almost an article, def a good read

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:49:53 am »
Pappy took the words right out of my keyboard Sleek. Good Luck out there may all your adventures be safe ones.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 06:41:13 am »
Yeah there are more people sleeping rough over here too.
If I walk up to the town through the woodland, there is a dense patch of blackthorn, I've often thought it would be a good place to bivouac. The other day I ducked into there to see what I could see and sure enough there were two tents in there. I crept away quietly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 07:26:18 am »
It makes me really sad when I see that, I know some want to live that way and I wish them the best and no sorrow extended to them, :) live and let live, but others have been forced into it because of things out of their control, or bad choices, life as we call it, those folks I really feel for. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:36 am »
With our nice weather there is a lot of that in Florida. It's hard to get a campsite for the weekend in the County and State Parks because of people that have set up semi-permanent residence in them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:31:33 am »
I have slept in my truck a few times when traveling and I don't want to spring for a hotel. Damn uncomfortable with the seat belt holder poking in my back. Wife and I tried living in just a travel trailer last year but it was too small

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:55:56 am »
Yes!!! The subcultures of "homeless" people is crazy crazy. I spent a couple months hitchhiking and walking coast to coast and all over the country (minus the northeast) and it blew my mind. I still always feel like just two steps to my left is an entirely different world. It varies greatly from south to north too as far as the urban survival rules. I guess you being a rubber tramp you haven't run into teritorial issues like I found in Florida, Louisiana and Dallas. Watch the addictive aspects of it would me warning. It can pull you in quick and I am not talkin about any substances. It's the freedom in the lifestyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 11:14:59 am »
Good read, Kevin.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
Salt Lake has a big "Homeless" population, and a large "Nomadic" Population as well. The homeless population has exploded. They are in the process of building two more shelters, as we just don't have the room. We have recently had to put up 2 hour parking signs around a popular park to keep the "Nomadic" population from turning it into a alcohol and drug fueled fight club at night. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7606428,-111.9015841,3a,75y,332.29h,88.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXbisINYQs72deiXXKJqlfQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

An area of the city that was designed to be an upper class area has turned into a literal skid row. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7624436,-111.905066,3a,75y,229.29h,70.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srpFjSi5cxDdPAWp1lDiJSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7638967,-111.905155,3a,75y,48.54h,70t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYByVRrrnS6JcgCgkS2Y-Ag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7623537,-111.9050666,3a,75y,232.23h,81.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf7sD32eTnsI67oXAEV7LqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

We also have a group of people who live in campers and motor homes. The city code doesn't allow them to park in any area for more the 48 hours without being cited, so they just go around the corner every second morning to stay ahead of parking enforcement, and they city can literally do nothing about it. There is for sure a part of me that would have loved to travel the country and live like a drifter, but I do enjoy my place. If you are ever in Utah call me, I'll let you know of the good places to hang out.  ;)
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 11:29:36 am »
I wish you the best Kevin.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 11:40:44 am »
Yeah, I spent some time in my youth on the fringe of this sort of modern gypsy culture and it is fascinating and as lumberman said it sure does have an appeal or lure to it that one can easily fall down that rabbit hole. And while of course as in any fringe culture there are crazies (both dangerous and benign) for the most part they are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, I mean literally I've never met more generous and selfless folks.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:03 am »
A very brief explanation for why I am doing this. I was unemoyed for a bit and struggling very hard. Then a job oportunity in Charleston came my way. It promised to be good money but turned out not to be enough to allow me to have a roof and support my wife and son in Oklahoma. So, tomake certain they were cared for, and to save money for when the contract I was working ended, I stayed in my truck.

Well, turnes out this isnt brief after all. I work as a contractor building aircraft for what ever company finds themselves behind schedual or without a direct labor force. Working in Charleston for the company, I kept being instructed to do things against the engineering drawing. As an aside, in aviation, the engineer is God. His word is the first and last say. Diviation will land you in prison and can and has brought aircraft down in terrifying manners. Now, most were simple things, and some honest mistakes, but I always caught them, and refused with a citation of why. The ethics of the place being so bad, I had to find somewhere else to work.

I got an offer in Stuart Fl, better money than I was making and no state taxes, I took it. Problem is, after quitting my job, and a day before I was to leave for Florida, I got a call saying never mind they lost the contract. Well, now I was unemployed.  It was two weeks into being unemployed and no jobs were available anywhere in the country. I was back home in Oklahoma and looking at a notice that said pay the rent or leave on my door. Not knowing how long it would be before I found work, but knowing If we paid rent we would be broke in a month, we bought a camper, arranged with a friend to park it in his back yard and stay in it ( illegal btw in this land of the free but doing it anyway ).

About a week into that I got a job offer in Wichita that I am currently working. I had to borrow $1500 from another friend to buy lots of tools as I had none to do this job. Its a smaller outfit and require you to have your own tools. I have always worked for bigger names. So now, I live under a camper shell on the back of my truck, and my wife and kid live in a bumper pull camper. We are getting along alright, and are saving up all our money now that the bills are reduced and caught up.  We are so tired of struggling for years, that if roughing it for a while means a better life in the future, then ok. The money I am making will pay off this house ( its a wreck and condemnable ) I am buying, and leave me the money to make it livable. Which is a good thing, because this contract is only a 3 month job, and it ends Dec 31st, and I wont get to work holidays. But with the current plan, if we live as frugal and simple as we can, after Christmas, we will own a house, it will be fixed up to the point of livable, and have no rent or mortgage.  That will reduce our financial strain greatly. Assuming of course, this job last as long as it should. I got a warning yesterday when I pointed out a major section of the fuselage wasnt built to specs. They didnt like that and told me to quit worrying about any work that wasnt my own. If I didnt, My hours would be cut. Man, the ethics in aviation are not what they should be.

Anyways, thats tje long version of why I am doing what I am doing. With luck, after Christmas I will be done.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 11:55:52 am »
Yeah, I spent some time in my youth on the fringe of this sort of modern gypsy culture and it is fascinating and as lumberman said it sure does have an appeal or lure to it that one can easily fall down that rabbit hole. And while of course as in any fringe culture there are crazies (both dangerous and benign) for the most part they are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, I mean literally I've never met more generous and selfless folks.

I have noticed this to be true. One intance in particular, a your and very hippie couple was living in their van in Charleston. I was walking by a hole in the wall diner that served out a window to exactly 4 barstools. They recognized me from having been parked next to me the night before and called out to me. We had breakfast together and wound up spending the entire day and night hanging out. They were very generous in offering me all the weed a person could ever smoke, and enough mushrooms to top a large pizza. I had to decline based on laws and being in aviation its really frowned upon. But still, nice folks. I have met lots of people like this, and we all go our seperate ways afterwards. Its really fascinating to get to know this type of life. Mine is less nomad and more migrant worker, but I meet all types. Many unemployed,  others traveling workers like myself. But when you meet and talk, you have an instant connection through a common lifestyle. The amount you have in common really brings you together at times.