Author Topic: Modern nomadic life  (Read 10742 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: Modern nomadic life
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 06:26:23 pm »
Really interesting to hear your observations Sleek but I'm sorry to hear about the tough circumstances you and your family are going through. I hope your plans work out and that you have good fortune after.
It really is staggering how many people are living on the fringes of society in our rich and developed world. I know there's always been poverty and dispossessed people but things are getting crazy now right!?!  ???
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 03:51:07 am »
Its concerning to me how soundly I can sleep. A few nights back I heard voices and took a peek out. Three cars were very close to me. A few guys were unloading things from one to another and all drove off, after one guy took a leak next to my truck.  I had my pistol next to me just in case they wanted something I had, im a bit paranoid after having had two people try to steal my ac unit and generator. But, i think I have a solution to hide my ac unit and still have it workable. I am also considering a way to hang my generator under the truck in my spare tire area. A long neck pipe to the fuel tank will make easy fill up and increase capacity, and I am considering possibly extending the pull start cable through my bed so I can pull start without getting out. Also, if I can sound deaden it, and pipe the exhaust into my actual exhaust pipe, most would not know I was even running a generator, and that is key to not becoming a target for theft. Fire is next concern.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 08:55:11 am »
If you put it under be sure and watch the exhaust, had 3 folks die last year or year before at a Harley toy run running rally here in Clarksville . Had a generator to close to an opening on their camper, died in their sleep.  :( Just listening to you talk about your job, seems to me you may want to look for another line of work, I know they probably pay you really good but regular pay all the time is better than really good once in a while in most cases, then you learn to live on less than you make and over time it will pile up. :) JUST SAYING. ;) :)  JMO.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
I agree with pappy on all counts sleek, chaising that big payday in a unstable market vs less pay at a stable job you usually end up making close to the same by the time you figure travel and layoffs, and the big kicker with me was being witn my wife and kids. We always got by
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 10:05:08 am »
I would be very careful how you route your generator exhaust sleek.  Maybe instead of tapping into your existing exhaust on your truck, you should run a second exhaust parallel with the truck exhaust, making it appear as a dual outlet.  I don't know what determinants you could have exhausting the generator into the engine while the truck is not running (backflow), and vice versa with the exhaust flowing into the generator while the truck is running and the generator is off.

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 12:10:04 pm »
I build airplanes. It is unstable work, and I wish I had known that before i got started. I am working on switching fields however. I was going to school to be a machinist,  I figured my my resume would be complimented well with manual and cnc machining. I had a month left to finish the program, and there were no jobs yet to be lined up, when I recieved a call from Boeing aircraft company asking me to work for them.

I had no job prospects, and in one month, we were going to need me to work. I was going to school on the GI Bill so that was covering bills, and that was going to end when I finished school. I figured, 26 an hour and only 7.25 was taxable, rest was perdiem, id be stupid not to take the job. Well, hl ow here I am, sucked back into this, and in my small town, mostly fueled by oil business, the economy is terrible. Very few jobs to be had and the ones available are very low pay. Low pay is fine so long as I can pay my bills. Thats why I am trying to do this contract work, to pay off my house and get it livable, that way we can afford to live on a low income, and live well.

The generator I have, it sits and runs on a cargo tray that slides into my trailer hitch. A few times I had exhaust get in when the wind would switch directions, but not in the quantity needed to do anything harmful other than a small headache. I try to park in a way that keeps the wind blowing exhaust away. I figure if a car can run with the pipe right there and leople not die, so long as my gen exhaust is routed the same, I should be fine.

Offline willie

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 01:36:57 pm »
The generator I have, it sits and runs on a cargo tray that slides into my trailer hitch. A few times I had exhaust get in when the wind would switch directions, but not in the quantity needed to do anything harmful other than a small headache. I try to park in a way that keeps the wind blowing exhaust away. I figure if a car can run with the pipe right there and leople not die, so long as my gen exhaust is routed the same, I should be fine.

Sleek

your are playing with fire with that kind of thinking about CO. Sleeping in a stationary rig is not like driving down the road. Heed Pappys warning. Up the road a while back,a young guy with wife and childern came home from work to find his family dead in camper. generator was outside camper, blue tarp got blown around.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »
Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes irreparable damage to the body, even in small doses. Those slight headaches are a problem.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »
Maybe I will just build a bracket to hang it off my front bumper. The headache thing has only happened a few times. I try to stay conscience of the wind direction.

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2016, 01:18:35 am »
With the weather cooler now, im going without the generator.

I recently had an idea of a way to keep folks from snooping in my truck. I filled two garbage bags with dry trash, bottles, papers, stuff that wont rot. I keep them in the back of my truck so when someone passes by looking in, tjey see just a bunch of garbage, and loose interest.

I also want to share you can tell lots about the area based on what local stores sell. Specifically, if walmart sells guns or not. If the walmart doesnt sell guns its a high crime area and you dont need to be there. If you are in an area with lots of pawn shops, its a target rich area, and one that indicates a poorer area, and its not a good idea to stay there either.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 05:11:49 am »
Hey Sleek I snowbird for 6 months out of the year out west. STAY in a 20 ft travel trailer with the lovely Sussn and two dawgs! LOL. Anyway we don't use a generator but have enough solar to run everything but the AC unit!!!  WE boondocking gor free in the BLM desert, National Forest or State Lands! YOU can stay 14 days. YOU need to check out cheaprvliving.com online, lots of info to make your life better!  Also freecampsites.net for places to camp. I like lotdocking at Walmart, Cabelas, Flying J, Pilot etc. They  welcome you.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline GB

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 04:51:16 pm »
You're a better man than me, Sleek.  I lived in the back of my truck for two weeks some 30 years ago.  I was so glad to find a tiny apartment I could afford.
Hope things take a turn for the better for you real soon.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 05:34:02 pm »
Been doin it for 7 months now. Had a month home where I slept inside my house, so 6 months really. I enjoy it. The challenge is fun. They should make an urban survival show.

Offline bubby

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 05:52:07 pm »
Been doin it for 7 months now. Had a month home where I slept inside my house, so 6 months really. I enjoy it. The challenge is fun. They should make an urban survival show.

They do sleek it's called the walking dead 😜
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »
Never seen it. Any good?