Author Topic: pickled okra  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
pickled okra
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:31 am »
I just got done doing 12 pints of pickled okra. This is a simple recipe without a hot water bath.

The recipe...

Pack young okra, 2 cloves of garlic and a tea spoon of dill seed in each pint jar.

boil 1 qt of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of salt, 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar.

jars and lids hot(I put them in a boiling water for a few minutes before packing)
Pour boiling brine in jars and seal.

Let stand for 2 weeks before using.   Makes 6 pints. Some adjustments may be needed to allow for the size of the okra. I guess you can use this recipe for other vegetables if you wanted.

These pickled okra are great for just snacking or we chop a few up, mix with mayonnaise, a little lemon juice, salt and white pepper for a good tasting tarter type sauce for fried seafood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cantshoot

Re: pickled okra
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:02:48 pm »
Dang that sounds delicious. Never had okra this way but I bet it is a cool texture. Do they crunch?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:26:51 pm »
If done right hey do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:24:34 am »
Love me some okra. We used to do a similar recipe. Been a few years tho since we made any. Looks like some gooders Pat. Cheers!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)