Author Topic: Yew Flatbow - Double Hollow Limb - 62#@28"  (Read 20964 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Yew Flatbow - Double Hollow Limb - 62#@28"
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »
Thanks Pat!

Congratulations Carson on your elk!!!.Lot of meat there.Exciting hunt!!!!You must have hit the juggler heh?????Unique design of your bow too.I like it.
Ed, Lots of meat, indeed. About180-190 lbs worth of meat, no bone. Not bad for a little bull. The broadhead cut the top of the heart, then lung, then diaphragm.
Lordy....You got full penetration on that elk.Missed all the bone.You are blessed Carson.With that penetration he's going down!!!!Coooool!!!!Would of liked to have been there.Did the feathers disappear??At least you did'nt have to go very far to find him....lol.Congratulations again!!!!Meat/horn/hide/sinew and more.A grocery store/bow making material/robe or shirt/ and more is another way to look at it.I'd say you should be happy bud.That bow had to take forever to tiller too.I hav'nt seen another like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 11:30:59 pm »
Thanks Pat!

Congratulations Carson on your elk!!!.Lot of meat there.Exciting hunt!!!!You must have hit the juggler heh?????Unique design of your bow too.I like it.
Ed, Lots of meat, indeed. About180-190 lbs worth of meat, no bone. Not bad for a little bull. The broadhead cut the top of the heart, then lung, then diaphragm.
Lordy....You got full penetration on that elk.Missed all the bone.You are blessed Carson.With that penetration he's going down!!!!Coooool!!!!Would of liked to have been there.Did the feathers disappear??At least you did'nt have to go very far to find him....lol.Congratulations again!!!!Meat/horn/hide/sinew and more.A grocery store/bow making material/robe or shirt/ and more is another way to look at it.I'd say you should be happy bud.That bow had to take forever to tiller too.I hav'nt seen another like it.

No Ed, the feqthers didnt disappear, In fact I recall seeing about one 1/4 the length of the arrow sticking out of his chest as he turned and trotted off. But when I found him, the arrow was broke off just at the fletching and the rest of the shaft was inside of him. I think he drove it in as he stumbled into a pile of windfall lodgepoles. I heard him stumble and crash within 5-6 seconds of arrowing him. He let out a death groan as he crashed. It was quite a feeling after having hit two nice bulls the last two years only to come up empty handed. One not fatal, the other looked to be in the ponch/liver, and I just didnt give him enough time. it was such a relief to hear this one go down and know that it was a quick clean kill. I was 5 miles back in the wilderness. I hiked everything but the guts and the pelvis out. I have gallons of elk bone broth, a freezer full of meat, and I have the hide scraped clean... just need to get in the brains. Oh yeah, and some nice back and leg sinews. And still need to cook the oil out of the canon bones, and what to do with the hooves, and.... ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 02:02:52 am »
that bow is a work of art... please please don't break it....

send it to me for safe keeping...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline FilipT

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:54 am »
How wide is it at the fades and what tools did you use to hollow out the limbs? Are there specific dimensions for that, I would like to attempt double hollow design.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 05:50:04 am »
Wooo ... that's all I got :o
Just wooo!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 06:52:09 am »
Nice job on the elk, Carson!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 07:19:55 pm »
Awesome bow, and congrats on the elk!  I like the double hollow limb

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 08:19:30 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Stalker, Width at fades is 2 1/8". I used a couple of different sized gouges and a goose neck scraper. I bought a random assortment of beat up old gouges on ebay a few years back for pretty cheap and reworked them all to nice honed edges. Nothing like old steel.

One thing I noticed using the gouges on the hollow limb, especially around knots, is that you end up following the grain of the annual growth rings. As you hollow out the limb, you are shaping it in a way that is similar to how it grew.

Mullet, yes, you gotta love it when it all comes together. I am hoping to find enough time to make a yew longbow for late deer season.  :)

Thanks Pat, I think a few folks at the range thought I was just trying to be fancy, for fancy sake, but most were impressed with its performance.

I dont know about that Ryan. I look forward to the day when I feel like I have mastered bowyery, but I dont know if that is really doable. I really think I came in underweight with these dimensions and design, but I was committed to getting tiller right.

JW, I just about had him fenced in. Is there an Iowabow story?
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Drewster

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 09:59:00 pm »
That's a most unique and interesting bow.......and very well crafted.  What is the premise behind building a bow like that?  Nice harvest too.  Enjoy the meals.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
Awesome bow, awesome elk! Congrats on both
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline PeteC

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:13 pm »
Congrats on your successful hunt.Nice young elk. I have never seen this bow design before,it's very striking. I keep coming back and looking at it. Very nice. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline loon

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:24 am »
 :o that's.. quite the bow there..

double hollow, interesting

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
Thanks Drewster.
Thanks Blayne
Thank you Pete. That is very nice of you to say.
Thanks Loon.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 12:28:04 am »
No fair showing off your bow with a dead elk!

Here's a couple pictures I have.

Here's Carson showing off his fanny pack

Here is Carson meditating on his arrow hitting a bull.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:27 am »
Awesome elk. Awesome bow.