Author Topic: Yew Flatbow - Double Hollow Limb - 62#@28"  (Read 20776 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Yew Flatbow - Double Hollow Limb - 62#@28"
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:27 am »

Here's Carson showing off his fanny pack

Lol! Does this fanny pack make my butt look big?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline sleek

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:18 am »
How does that spine on the belly not fail in compression?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 04:17:18 am »
Your bow is the heck of a masterfully crafted weapon, and I’m glad you could take a nice deer already! Congrats!
To bad I cannot see and examine that extraordinary bow in person.
I really like everything on this bow, the color of the beautiful yew, the muscles on the back ….
But most impressive is the idea of the double HLD. I was waiting so long for you American guys to jump in the HLD idea! Now there are two specimens of extra quality: yours and Weylin’s. My thought is, there is much potential for efficiency and performance. we should make with a lot more with this design to get the specs.
Have you  weighed the bow, and compared with similar non HLD bows? I’m not familiar with Badger’s mass principle, maybe you - can you say something about that? My experience is we can save a good amount of mass compared to a ‚normal’ bow design. Can you feel the limbs flattening out while drawing the bow? Have you measured the speed with a chrony?

Again the beauty of that bow is breathtaking.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:34 am »
Congrats on both, nice job both times. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 05:15:11 am »
That is a masterpiece of a bow at all points.
Very interesting cross-section of the limb.
I guess the double-hollow cross- section is enlarging the surface of the bow's bellies. In addition a profiled cross- section is keeping the limbs much more stable and straight.
I would like to find out if such a profiled belly would reduce chrysalis.
Any ideas about that?

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Parnell

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 11:25:22 am »
Wow!  Congratulations on your success.  I'm intrigued about the bow!  Really beautiful Carson.
Again, congratulations!  Must have been an amazing experience. :)
1’—>1’

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 10:25:15 pm »
I guess its ok.... >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 11:59:56 am »
Sleek. "how does the ridge on the belly not fail in compression?" Because yew is magic :)
 I am not sure really, but the bow has thousands of arrows through it at this point and is holding up fine. I showed it to Keenan Howard and he said, "awesome, the ridges are too small to chrysal!" He might be on to something. I have seen strong keels in illustrations of Native yew bows. I have also seen a number of James Rempp's bows that have a ridge on the belly, some in very stressed designs.

Simson, Thank you. I drew much inspiration for this bow from your work. I just weighed it and it is 18 oz. I am not sure where that puts it with the mass principle, but if anyone wants to calculate it, it has a 8" handle and 11" from fade to fade. 63" nock to nock.   Again, I think this bow is overbuilt by a fair margin. If I could have hit tiller at 70# it would really be something special performance wise. Probably would have only required another 1/2 oz. of wood left in the right places to do this. I am not sure if the limbs are flattening out at draw. It does feel like it handles the stack at the back end of the draw well, like maybe there is a slight "let off effect" of the limbs flattening out. This is barely perceptible, it just feels like it doesn't stack quite as much as it should in the last inch or two. I put it through a chrono a while back and got 165 fps with a 625 grn arrow. Not super fast but enough to kill an elk :)  I have since heat treated the belly. With pronounced ridges, the peaks of the ridges can be thoroughly hardened over the coals. It might be a touch faster now as the unbraced profile is near flat now.

Thanks Redhawk. Yes, the belly surface is certainly increased by this design, but the wood doing the majority of the compression work is concentrated into small area. I think it would be more stable and straight. That was one of my first thoughts when I first saw photos of Simon's HLD bows.
I don't know if it would reduce Chrysals, but so far so good.  :)

Thanks Parnell. It was quite an experience! Packing the meat out of the wilderness, I had a lot of time to relive the excitement and sweetness of it all. This was the first elk hunt where I carried tobacco with me and made offerings to the great elk spirit here and there in the beds of the elk we would nap in during the day, and then again of course after the harvest.

Thanks Soy, I guess  ;D

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 02:38:55 pm »
That bow looks magical  8),

R.D.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 12:55:13 am »

Wow!  That is just amazing!  Weylin's too!  :o 8) Man, I was going to say, you must have been studying Simson's bows. ;)  Don't you just love the way, deer, and elk, find the most difficult place to die!?
Man that must have been a heck of a hard time, gutting, and skinning, and packing out the meat, bones, and hide.  I think I would have had to cut that log out of the way, to maneuver the elk for processing.  Man to get Simson's appreciation of your bow, is quite a compliment.  He is definitely a master of beautiful, and functional bows.  Your bow is quite a master piece.  Thanks for sharing, and enjoy the fantastic meals, and all the material you harvested.  I have plenty of elk meat, thanks to friends, that I have helped process their elk.  That is a well deserved Woo Hoo!

Wayne

Offline Orrum

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 08:20:21 am »
That's awesomeness in both pics and bow!!! Thanx for sharing!!!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 10:23:47 am »
Beautiful bow and Bull, very nicely done . :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:13 pm »
Beautifully different!
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline Msturm

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:35 am »
I can't stop looking at it. Absolutely stunning! Way to go!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 01:37:48 pm »
Awesome looking bow Carson, I think it should help avoid fractures both on the tension and compression side of the bow. Should also work on heavily crowned wood.