Author Topic: Modoc/paddle/hupa/shorty questions???(and build pics)  (Read 7144 times)

Offline burtonridr

Re: Modoc/paddle/hupa/shorty questions???(and build pics)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 02:02:40 am »
Thanks for the encouragement gfugal, I'm feeling a little un sure how long it will last. I really hope all the work finishing isnt for nothing.

I got the bow backed today with black linen rayon blend material with TBIII. I dont know if I like the fabric look, I'm really considering painting over it.... I prefer the natural wood look, I'm wishing I would have just wrapped the area with string and super glue. But Oh well, learned a new skill and the backing appears to be in good shape. I just need to dream up a good design for finishing it.
Offgrid mtn living

Limbit

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 08:26:04 pm »
Sorry about the split! The issue is the wood I think. If it is maple, it will probably be unable to handle the compression of a short bow. You may even want to consider getting a wood that is good in compression, flattening the belly and laminating it on there. That with a backing material will take care of any issues it is having, but the amount of work will essentially be like starting from scratch....so... I'd soak it with superglue, bind the area tightly with some nylon thread or sinew and shoot it like it doesn't have any problems.  If the binding throws off your balance, make a mirror binding on the opposite limb. It'll make it safe, looks nice and ought to hold it together just fine.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 12:35:43 pm »
The bending on the f/d looks very nice!
But to be honest I cannot see those pics when bows are drawn that extreme and sticking on a tree for long time till the pic is done. It makes way more sense to to f/d pics with a arrow on and drawn by hand. And hold the fulldraw only a short time, make a couple of pics and sort the best out for your post.

Looking at the last f/d pic, I would say you are asking a lot for an unbacked little stick!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »
@Simson,
Lol no kidding I made it real quick... and only drew it back to 21" instead of 22".... But I still noticed the limbs got a little weak after that, they dropped 10lbs. I was very disappointed and it freaked me out, but the full 40# draw weight came back the next day after the limbs had a chance to relax. Question for you, the fur at the knocks on your bow, does it help with sound when you shoot the bow?

@Limbit,
I agree, laminating seems like a lot of work, and not something I have had success with in the past when doing a handle. I ended up backing the bow a few days ago with Linen/Rayon cloth and TBIII. I almost tried binding with thread, but the other night on the tiller tree it made a few cracking sounds out of the blue, so I went ahead and backed it instead.

Just an update in general; got lucky and got a squirrel today and skinned it out, I plan to use it for the fluff around the handle, and maybe at each knock. I also have some leather to use for the handle. I will post up pics as I make more progress.
Offgrid mtn living