Author Topic: Strawberry guava bow named little flame  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Msturm

Strawberry guava bow named little flame
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:18:40 pm »
After a year of off and on procrastination. Finally got it finished up last night.   it is 62 in tip to tip. it pulls 41 lbs at 28.  It is extremely narrow limbed, 1 inch at the widest part of the fades, with lots of belly meat on the limbs. It had some weird kinks and snake to it that made it difficult to tiller.

Anyway, It shoots great. I have arrows hitting where I want them to out to about 20 yards.

Here come the pics:

Unbraced:

Braced:

a look at the wavy kinky back:

Bottom limb with lots of mineral deposits:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:44:05 pm by Msturm »

Offline Msturm

Re: Strawberry guava bow named little flame
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
Bubinga tips:

Handle with lots of mineral wood:

Full draw:

The compression crack:

This little compression crack has me worried. It is right on the side of the knot. Any ideas on how to keep this bad boy from becoming a problem? (I have put about 100 arrows on it since I put that green dot on there. it has not gotten any bigger.)

Mahalo for looking!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:50:22 pm »
Very nice.......with lots of character.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »
Nice looking bow.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:54:51 am »
That looks like it was a difficult stave to get a bow from but it sure is a nice bow and I love the grain and color in the wood as well as the character in the bow. The crack would worry me too, I usually just add super glue to cracks like that and often also do a sinew wrap in the affected area. Not sure if that is the best insurance but its what I do with most any flaw I run into on a bow limb.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 09:58:25 am »
Very cool bow. Love the color and hell everything aboot it. I agree with Mr. Bent, a lil super glue and a sinew wrap on that crack and fugitabotit.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Msturm

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:57:08 am »
Alright I got some super glue in the compression crack. I also got it wrapped in some goat sinew from a billy I took this season. I hope I can get a goat with this bow! 

How long do I let the sinew dry before covering with super glue? I put it on at about 2 PM. it has dried to the touch and is pretty clear. ( it was in the sun all evening.)  Good to go? or do I let it dry for a couple days just to be sure?

Thanks!

msturm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:07:17 am by Msturm »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »
That's the problem I had with the bow I got from Manny made from the same wood. I shot it some but it had more cracks develop. It has been  holding up beans for two years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Msturm

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:40:09 pm »
Mullet I am sorry to hear that!  I don't think it is the wood though, at least not in this case. Im quite sure it is a tillering issue on my bow, I didn't compensate enough for the kink in the stave right there.  I have some other guava bows that are several years old and get shot pretty regularly without any issues. sorry to hear your bow isn't working out.   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 04:20:43 pm »
If you really want to save it and make it last? Id grab a thin lamination of wood about 8" long and glue it over that area with epoxy. Obviously flatten it out nice so it mates perfectly. That will stiffen it back up and allow you to tiller it a bit stiffer in that spot. But? That's a lot of work for a bow, Id probably just make another. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.