Author Topic: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics on page 12... Refinished pics on page 13)  (Read 49213 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: Let's Build a Trilam!
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
Well, I didn't get a chance to make another serving jig, but I went ahead with making the string anyway and I served it slowly but surely without a jig (which doing one string in a great while isn't too bad... but I'm still going to get a jig!).

I managed to get 25 shots off today, and so far so good!  No delaminations, bamboo fibers lifting, or belly chrysals (plus it didn't blow up in my face!).  I'll continue shooting it in as the week goes on, then I'll get the Mrs. to take full draw pics and a video of me shooting the bow.  For now, here are the pictures of the bow after shooting it:

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ajooter

« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2017, 09:24:15 pm »
You need to get some good photos of this bow before you send it off.  Then you need to post this bow for BOM.  With all certainty I will be voting for you.

It was a long road but man it really came together.  Congratulations on hard fought win on this one!!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
It's been fun reading of your progress. Congrats, Ty!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2017, 01:29:45 pm »
That's a fine looking bow. You done good, Ty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
Dude, so glad you stuck with it, that is one beautiful bow!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:38 pm »
Just checking in with everyone real quick.  I'm up to 150 shots now (trying not to shoot too much, as this bow is a bit heavier than I'm used to, but it's a good way to build up my shoulder!) and everything is still looking good (tiller and unstrung profile).  I haven't been able to take longer shots yet, but she's slamming the arrows (around 500 grain arrows) pretty good into the block target. 

Aaron, you asked if I have plans to build another one like this.  I definitely do!  While this one didn't quite end up like Roy's trilams, I'm digging it (and especially knowing they look similar to the r/d bows Marc does, I can at least use his pictures as a resource).  However, I think I want to tackle some other projects 1st before coming back to the trilam (some more board bows to practice tillering, trying to splice some billets together of some ash I collected a while ago to make a selfbow, etc).

I'll try to get her shot in this week and get the bow all sanded down and ready to finish this weekend (I still plan on posting pics and vids of how the bow shoots before the final touches).

Finally, thanks again for all the kind words and the help!  I feel ashamed that this has taken as long as it has, but I'm truly thankful that everyone (particularly Jeff) has been patient with me.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2017, 05:43:05 pm »
And now that I had a chance to crop the photos, here are the braced and just unbraced pictures of the bow tight after shot #150:

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2017, 10:38:43 pm »
I really like that braced and unbraced profile there.  It looks to me like just a little work rounding off sharp edges on handle and you are ready to put the finish on.  I have always heard that good things come to those who wait, and I think this bow proves it.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2017, 11:04:22 pm »
Yeah, the handle section can be smoothed out a bit more for sure. That'll be something I finish up before shooting it in (along with finishing up the tips).

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2017, 06:39:36 pm »
250 shots later, here's how the full draw looks:

It's not the best... I'll have to get some better photos, but this is it for now.  I'll try to get a few shots off yet today and take a picture of the unbraced shape.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
Simply outstanding...you have shown some crazy patience and commitment to making this bow.  Looks great!!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
What a trip this has been! Congrats.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. I see nothing there to criticize at all.  How do you plan to finish it?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2017, 11:21:28 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. I see nothing there to criticize at all.  How do you plan to finish it?

I meant to say "it's not the best pic" ;).  I'm leaning towards dying the boo a dark color (probably brownish), then take steel wool to the bits between the nodes to lighten those areas.  Then, if we ever get another sunny day again, I also want to get the handle area sanded down to a 400-600 grit, then let those good ol' UV rays hit the purpleheart so it gets a little more purple (right now it's a little on the brown side, but I know hitting it with a little sunlight will get the purple back).  After that, I've got a bottle of tru-oil I need to use up, so I'm thinking of using that yo go over the bow.  I'm still debating about that part of the "finishing" process, but I still have a little time to get it worked out.  I'm not going to sit on it too much, though, since I want to get it into your hands.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:18 am »
Ty you have done a very good job on this tri-lam and Jeff you have had a lot of patience and you are receiving one nice bow. Congrats to both of you.