Author Topic: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics on page 12... Refinished pics on page 13)  (Read 48823 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Let's Build a Trilam!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »
Any reason to not just glue your bends in?  Seems you are introducing variable and increased potential stiffness by heating  things.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »
since the tips are supposed to be mostly stiff anyway, I don't think the extra heat is the biggest problem.  If you rewarm it, get the very end firmly secured so that the curve is even through the whole arc--not all focused in one spot as it is now.

Good luck and heat slowly.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 12:33:08 pm »
Smooth on is a good choice as it will give plenty of work time. Be sure to tape the back of the boo
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 12:34:17 pm »
Update!!

I have the bamboo ready to go.  I taper the thickness by sanding the bamboo until it forms a nice edge.  This is after I've gotten the width taken care of.  I read on a few posts here that by doing it this way, you get a nice thickness taper and after doing it a few times and double checking with the calipers, I can say this method does work beautifully.

I've also roughed out the walnut.  Since I haven't had any luck tapering the thickness using a jig, here's how I do it: I divide each working limb into 4 sections.  At each section, I mark both sides of the lam how thick I want it.  In this case, the 1st section is left at 3/16" (this is where the fade ends), then I mark 5/32", 1/8", 3/32", and finally the tip at 1/16".

I take it to my spindle sander and sand about 90% of the material off.  I finish the rest of it with the hand plane (which is where I'm at now).

So, that leaves me with the osage tips to address.  I am going to try to make them more rounded, but I forgot the heat gun at home!  I'll head there during my lunch break, get the gun, and get the tips looking nicer.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:46 pm »
PatM: If I can get the osage to bend more evenly, I'll forgo the heating of the other bits (most likely it would just be the walnut, the bamboo could probably be glued to a really radical bend right now without any pre-heating right now).

bubby: I've used painters tape to back the bamboo for the last 2 bows (I used smooth on for them, too).  I was contemplating not using the tape this time around, but since you mentioned it, I will most definitely use it again!!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »
Here's a picture of the osage in the form. I tweeked it a bit by make the curve wider. I also used some better clamps to hold her down and an aluminum strip to help even the pressure on the lam.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 01:38:43 am »
That looks better than before.  Getting the end clamped will help, as well as the support strap

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 12:54:52 pm »
Here's how the tip looks off the press:

I plan on getting everything set up to take pictures of the dry run this evening.  I want to make sure I've got it on the form right before gluing it together.  For an idea, here's how the 1st trilam I worked on was glued up:

I'll start from this point (as that bow was going really well), but I would be game for moving those middle posts closer to the tips a bit.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 01:01:57 pm »
I think we touched lightly on this before but could someone explain the pro's and con's of moving those red clamps in or out.

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 02:00:03 pm »
I put the middle posts mid limb. I tried closer to the handle and they look funky, do a member search for Roy and around pg 10 in his postshe has a tri lam build, that's all ol Roy builds and he builds nice ones so i took his advice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »
I like it Ty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
Bubby, that's who I've been looking at for these bows!  Hopefully I'll be able to post the finished product on the TG website and get a "it's okay" from him.  ;D

As far as the placement for the midposts, (I think...) Roy said closer to the handle is good for a target bow (faster arrow but more jumpy in the hand) and closer to the tips is good for a hunting bow (smoother, quieter shoot).  I know he said specifically in one of his posts over the years, but I'm having troubles finding the specific post.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
 Not too bad where it is at but I would move mine closer to the tip. I feel whatever design you are after should be represented in the braced profile. If the bend is too close to the center you might end up tillering it out and have a D bow profile on the braced bow. You will loose the advantage of low string angles in the outer limbs which really boosts the power and tames down the bow. Tillering is also much easier with the clamp moved further out.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
Am getting alot of helpful information from this thread. Thanks for taking time
Question . . . purpose of clamps at ends of handle area is to limit/prevent flexing in this area?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 05:36:15 pm »
Maybe to anchor the rubber strap?