Author Topic: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics on page 12... Refinished pics on page 13)  (Read 48837 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: Let's Build a Trilam!
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »
Well, after sanding to 600 grit, including the rind (I went easy on the nodes and super glued them as well), applying 2 coats of tung oil and 8 coats of clear shellac (decided not to dye the boo, I really like the contrasting colors), putting a Bear hair rest on the shelf, wrapping the handle in jute (it's not glued on, so if Jeff wants to remove it, he may), making a new string (the one I made to shoot it in was just a hair too short), and shooting the string in (50 shots, plus just to make sure everything is good to go), I'd say this bow is done!  Here are some more stats for the bow (this was all covered near or at the beginning, but for the sake of the people who want to skip by the previous 11 pages, here's all that info in one place).

Bamboo - Walnut - Osage R/D Trilam:

69" ttt (67" ntn)
48 lbs @ 29" draw
13" handle/riser section
Bamboo back is 1/8" at the fades and tapered to 1/16" at the tips
Walnut core is 3/16" at the fades and tapered to 1/16" at the tips
Osage back was 1/4" thick before tillering.  I also flipped the tips of the osage prior to glue-up as a way to help retain the curve at the tips.  I also ended up rounding the belly a wee bit, so it ended up being a bit of a shallow D shape.
The fades are 1 1/4" wide, maintained for 6", then taper to 1/2" at the tip.
The tips are horn with a touch of maple on the top.
The handle is maple-purpleheart-firgured maple.
The handle has a bit of a groove shaped into it for the hand to rest in.  Not a pistol grip, but I think it's nice for the hand to nestle into the handle.
The shelf is cut 1/4" from the center.  The main point of the shelf was to be wide enough for the arrow to rest on comfortably.
The string is a 10 strand D79 Flemish twist with yarn silencers.

And for the pictures!

The obligatory "hanging on the cedar privacy fence strung profile" picture:

A closer look at the shelf (and a good look at the woods... I'm kinda diggin the tone the purpleheart took, but it might change after some more UV exposure):

A closer look at the limbs (I forgot to take a front shot of the bamboo, but this is a pretty good shot of the contrasting colors):

A closeup of one of the tips:

Braced in the hand (6" brace):

And the "money shot":

And for those skipping to this point in the thread, here's the last picture of the unbraced bow I took (this was after shooing in 25 times to make sure the top limb was bending correctly), as I forgot to get that picture after the bow was finished:

Some final thoughts to come soon!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:11:43 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »
Oh, that looks great, Ty!  Pretty tips, too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2017, 02:40:37 pm »
Nailed it! Way to see it through, Ty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2017, 02:46:18 pm »
man that profile is what I seek..just built a boo osage and lost my reflex tilling it out...tilled it like a self bow...ughh...Ive watched this thread but not close enough ...pearl seems to hit it on leaving the last 12 inches stiff to keep the profile I want... bout to build a black walnut boo bow...and Im going to till it stiff last 12 inches... nice job here...

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2017, 03:37:18 pm »
Way to go Ty, it turned out great

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »
Thanks all :)  Hopefully Mr. Jeff will like it.  We'll find out soon enough!  I completely forgot to take pictures from the top of the nocks (I slimmed the bits past the string groove a bit) and the unstrung profile.  But:

I know I said this yesterday, but I think I'll post the final specs plus a wrap-up on this bow soon!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline bubby

« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2017, 06:38:22 pm »
That came out very nice, great job
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:01 pm »
UPS guy says Friday.  I am looking forward to it.  It looks really good--especially those curves.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
Absolutely beautiful.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:26 pm »
Very nice!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2017, 05:49:33 pm »
the wife just called and said there is a package on the door.  Darn work. . .

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »
Well, I'm going to edit my previous post with all the pictures of the finished bow with other stats and update the title with a "finished pics on page 12" so that if people want to cut to the chase, all the info is right there.  Then, maybe tomorrow, I'll edit this post to delete this update notice and proceed with the wrap-up of this project.

Offline feral

Re: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics and info on page 12!)
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »
Looks good. I've done two similar ones. The first didn't go so well but the second is pretty good.
 So well done. I know hard hard it can be.
Cheers
Looks a bit too cold their for me  :o

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2017, 11:45:45 pm »
the wife just called and said there is a package on the door.  Darn work. . .

At least you'll (hopefully) have the weekend to play with it!

Looks good. I've done two similar ones. The first didn't go so well but the second is pretty good.
 So well done. I know hard hard it can be.
Cheers
Looks a bit too cold their for me  :o

It was actually a warmer day that day. It was near 30F/-1C that afternoon!

Offline jeffp51

Re: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics and info on page 12!)
« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2017, 02:51:12 am »
Well, the bad news is the bottom tip broke off during shipping.  It looks like the overlay delaminated (the wood from both sides of the horn came off somehow) and took a bit of the underlying osage with it.  The good news is the break is mostly behind the knock groove, and after sanding off the old glue, I think I have it glued back together.  I am going to let it cure really good before I test it at all.