Author Topic: My Granny's knife  (Read 11957 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

My Granny's knife
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:01:04 am »
A few months ago my 96 year old granny had me sharpening her kitchen knives. This one knife caught my attention and I asked her about it. She told me it was her moms favorite knife and that when she moved in with my granny she gave it to her. Then she went on to tell me it was her favorite knife as well and she has used it to carve turkeys and hams with at thanksgiving and Christmas. As I continued to sharpen all these knives I aske her about the old stone she handed me to use. Granny went on to tell me about it also which was her moms too. After I got done I washed all ten knives and granny walked over to me and picked up the knife that I asked her about and she looked it over real good, felt the edge then handed it to me and said I want you to have this knife. It tickled me that she gave it to me. Now I can't wait for thanksgiving so I can carve the turkey and ham with it. I'm not for sure how old this knife is but I would guess around a century since my granny is 96. It's a Geneva High Carbon USA

Offline Stoker

Re: My Granny's knife
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:10 am »
Great story.. Glad it will continue to make family memories
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:36:04 am »
Nice shank granny!

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:57 am »
Great story! If I were you.. I'd restore the knife and give it another century to go. 😊
~Isaia

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:17:42 am »
Great story! If I were you.. I'd restore the knife and give it another century to go. 😊

Knotty the blade is actually in good condition I'm thinking of putting some sealer on the handle that would leave it natural but protect it

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
Got me a real soft spot for old carbon-steel workin knives.....that looks like a real good one. Extra knife that it is a "family" tool since it was new, very cool sir.
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 11:47:44 am »
If you have a Tru-Value Hardware store near you they have some Wooden Cutting board/ Bowl oil. I'd soak the handle in that instead of putting a sealer on it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:58 pm »
If you have a Tru-Value Hardware store near you they have some Wooden Cutting board/ Bowl oil. I'd soak the handle in that instead of putting a sealer on it.

I'd double down on that advice.  Modern sealers will trap moisture IN as well as keep it out.  And with this knife going in the sink to be washed, it simply will take moisture into the wood and that could spell accelerated damage to the handle.  Plus, it would look out of place where the natural oil will help preserve the wood. 

Nice shank granny!

You know your Gran' is a serious customer when she packs a serious shank! Big respect for her.  And what an honor to be entrusted with responsibility of this piece of your family history.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:31 pm »
Nice shank granny!

Aaron, A shank is for stabbing, a shiv is for cutting. Granny had a nice shiv. Both are verbs as well as nouns. I just had to go over this w/ my HS welding class.  ;D Although you can shank w/ a shiv you can not shiv w/ a shank. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 02:48:43 pm »
Very cool. My brother in law and I have been busy making hunting knives with his grandmothers old hickory knives. They have some great steel in them. He wasn't going to use them otherwise, so we re-purposed them by reshaping the blades and adding new scales and pins. A few of the big ones made a necker and belt knife.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
Nice shank granny!

Aaron, A shank is for stabbing, a shiv is for cutting. Granny had a nice shiv. Both are verbs as well as nouns. I just had to go over this w/ my HS welding class.  ;D Although you can shank w/ a shiv you can not shiv w/ a shank. dp

He teaches public school, he KNOWS!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:21:43 pm »
Nice shank granny!

You don't know what she used this for Derrick! I may be correct...

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 04:37:41 pm »
I have a old and well used butcher knife from both of my grandmothers.
Will be making a frame for them to be mounted in.
After that they will hang in our kitchen.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 04:42:24 pm »
Nice shank granny!

You don't know what she used this for Derrick! I may be correct...

You MAY have used the correct verb, I'll give you that.  O:)

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:36 pm »
I couldn't see the pics at work, but now that I have seen it,  :o I have the same one. Yours is in much better shape. I bought mine at a garage sale and it has a story too. I keep mine in the butchering stuff. I have slit the jugglers of literally hundreds of chickens with mine. I'll try to post a pic in a bit. Mine's been a gooder, Hope your's turns out that way too.

Aaron, definitely a shiv  ;)