Author Topic: shot placement  (Read 4376 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: shot placement
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »
 some would even say hunting with a bow is unethical, I like to think positively and,,, I dont think wood bow guys or primitive guys lean that way,(taking unethical shots)they all pretty much know that when they start shooting primitive gear they have put a limitation on what they can do, and they like that and dont mind waiting for a good shot, and,,,,, its not hard for them to limit the way or how far they shoot at the game,, I think its great that the guys starting out are asking for input on how to shoot at the game,,
that being said,, I just do my best with the shot presented and feel like my fellow wood bow guys do the same,, :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 09:21:35 pm »
I'm with ya Brad and hope primitive guys feel the same way.....how else would you know what to do on your first....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »
I think its great that the guys starting out are asking for input on how to shoot at the game,,

Boy howdy, you got that right!  Better to gut check now in the sterility of a digital online forum than in the woods with a wounded and pain wracked animal that deserves better.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 08:59:32 am »
I wait for the broadside or quartering away shot.  Think about a buck deer's anatomy and how he evolved.  Ever watch two big bucks fight?  They butt heads that are covered with sharp points.  I think the laws of evolution and natural selection have developed an animal that is pretty insulated from a frontal attack, otherwise they would kill each other pretty regularly during the rut.  Just my opinion that they are built to withstand sharp stuff coming at them head on.  There are possible lethal shots to be taken on a deer facing you, but I am not good enough to try it.  It would be nigh impossible for me to draw and shoot on a deer that is looking right at me anyway.  It has been my experience that they wouldn't sit still for all that movement.  My advice is to be patient and wait for the perfect shot.  I would always rather watch a deer walk away than to trail a wounded animal a mile through the bush and end up with nothing. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 09:33:08 am »
Even the best well intentioned best positioned shots can go awry or miss the mark.To hit a quartered away shot into a 6" circle will do the job if it goes at least a full 8" into the deer.Getting a hole on the other side for tracking purposes is desired but not necessary.While practicing hitting that 6" circle at a chosen distance consistently for most with primitive equipment between 15 and 20 yards will bring success.If I see those feathers in that position as the deer goes away I'm very confident it'll be down in a matter of hours.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 07:08:18 pm »
good points,, when I am a little shook,, and there is brush involved,, and having to pick a spot to pick a shot,,
the closer the better for me,, its just not like shooting a 3 d target,, I know its been said may times,, but I think it will work in your bennefit,, most the time to cut a few yards off what you think your effective range is,, if you hit every deer perfect at that closer range, then of course extend it a bit and try again at the new bench mark,, kind of like no set tiller,, :)
   I had a dog that was a great tracker,, and she taught me alot,, I went on some pretty grueling trails with her on deer that were really hit pretty good,, or it looked good on paper,, and lost some even with her nose,, so I guess I am just more careful than when I first started out,,,the more I hunted, it was not uncommon for me to sneak out after a shot, and follow up much later just in case,,even though I wanted to look for blood right now,,, patience is key in shot selection and follow up as well,,  even if it started to rain,, my good friend Jerry Simmons used to tell me ,, if its dead it will be there even if you wait,, if you jump it in the rain,, game over,,