Author Topic: standing dead osage  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Joec123able

standing dead osage
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »
Cut this straight osage a few days ago thats probably been dead for a few decades. Sap wood and bark are gone but the heart wood is solid. It has very straight grain and was the only straight tree on the whole fence row. The only flaw it has is this bug damage, what kind of bugs leave this white powerdery stuff behind and has any one successful used wood with this in it.

I like osage

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: standing dead osage
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:12 pm »
Looks like wood bores. They like to tunnel so you will have to investigate before you you'll know if the damage is limited or extensive.
The wood should make a very good bow if the damage isn't too bad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:24:32 am »
I find flat headed borer worms in tunnels like that.  Split off all the damaged wood and hopefully there is some solid gold inside.  Standing dead osage is awesome bow wood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:31:01 am »
Awesome, I've split the tree in to 5 very large staves. Appears to be a pretty good amount of bug damage but I'm definitely not one to give up lol. I will try getting a clean ring on a stave.
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 01:56:21 am »
Good luck.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 06:42:53 am »
I love standing dead Osage, bug damage not so much, >:( about all you can do is work it down until the damage is gone, if they didn't bore or tunnel through you are good to go, if they did I would cook brats with it. ;) No way to really tell until you dig into it but I would suggest doing it as soon as you can because them buggers can and probably are still in it. :) The tracks they left aren't a problem, just work them out, if the tunneled trough it , it's a big problem. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline FilipT

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 07:33:05 am »
Seems like osage behaves like dead black locust, you can use it if there is no excessive bug damage, but they are still hard as steel even after years of being dead.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:06:56 am »
Yea osage doesn't seem to rot much at all. I'm gonna at least get a few bows outta this log one way or another. I'll let y'all know how it goes on the first stave.
I like osage

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »
If there is a stave or two that have bug holes you can't get rid of. Just incorporate the holes so they are not on the edge sand the edges smooth and coat them with super glue. If the holes are deep, then fill them with some sort of powder (wood, horn, antler, it doesn't matter) and super glue then sand it smooth. The powder gives a filler surface for thee super glue to bond to and essentially give lots of tight glue lines instead of one big loose one. Ive done this with a few bows and they've held fine so far. Worst case, the bug holes raise a splinter and break te bow, and you were just going to burn it anyway. Or you could walk away with a bow with some beauty marks.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
If nothing else, try to get billets out of it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 05:46:31 pm »
Am I the only one worried about bringing borers indoors?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »
The wood is staying outside. So far, I've thrown the first stave to the side. I took a Ton of wood off the back and can't get rid of the deepest check in the wood. Onto the next
I like osage

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 06:13:03 pm »
Good luck!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 11:09:03 am »
I'm still making a bow here and there from Osage that was in a field for 60+ years. About an inch worth of rot on the outside, but underneath is the hardest wood I've ever taken my draw knife to. I'm going to be quite sad when I've finally used the last of it. Osage is just some amazing stuff. Hope that one bears some shooters for you.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »
Well sadly this wood is about to all hit the burn pit which is unfortunate because the wood itself is great and nice and straight but the bug damage is just terrible. This trees probably been dead longer than I think. If It wasnt for the bug damage it would be great.

I like osage