Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49508 times)

Offline osage outlaw

From the stand
« on: October 01, 2016, 07:00:52 pm »
How about a thread to post pictures and updates from the stand. 

So far all I've seen is a huge flock of migrating blackbirds.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: From the stand
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:07 pm »
I started out in the dark in my stump pile natural blind. Had a chipmunk try to climb my leg. Stayed there till 10:00 when a steady drizzle chased me to my gun blind. I stayed there till it let up about noon. Then sat in closest tree stand till I got chased to my gun blind again about 1:00. At 1:45 my big buck was under my tree stand presenting a beautiful shoot. Unfortunately I wasn't in my tree stand so I just watched him graze there for about 5 min. till he slipped back out the same way he came in. At about 2:45 it let up enough I got back in my closest tree stand again. At 5:37 a doe and 2 fawns came out by the stand the big buck had been by. A few min. Later another doe and 2 fawns came out, they all started making there way towards me but never got closer than about 45 yards. At 7:15 it was getting close to dark and started to rain again so I walked home in the rain. No meat in the freezer but not a bad 1st opening day even if the weather was less than perfect.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:50 pm »
PS I got a picture of the chipmunk but my photo bucket is full. Not sure what it cost to up grade it or if I can delete a bunch of pictures and post again. Gotta do something got a bow I want to post too.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:37:23 pm »
Sounds like you had a frustrating day.  All I saw tonight was birds. 

I started a new photobucket account when mine got full.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:21 pm »
It could have been worst, was actually nice to see "my buck" and that stand is in a good place if the wind is right which it was today to bad it was raining. The seasons just begun so maybe there'll be some better days. I didn't really think it was going to be easy.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 02:28:10 am »
Pretty darn good man.A full day.It rained here right off the bat at sunrise then had company over later so did'nt get any hunting in yet.Will though here pretty soon.You got something going on there bud.Good luck!!!
I don't have one of those smart phone camera gadgets so I can't take any pics.Till it's down then I will.....lol.I think it's a smart idea to have a phone with you though for safety reasons.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 07:17:38 am »
Yea I was up at 4:00 looked at radar it was pouring but looked like it would quit about 5:00 and then just hit and miss showers. I just had to go out it being my 1st opener and all. I really like having a phone along hunting. So far I don't know of any wheelie bow kills yet either but I'm sure somebody got one. happy hunting everyone, good luck and be safe.
Bjrogg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
Hey, any day is a good day to take a sit in the woods.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »
I started out this morning going to church then I took a few pairs around to my spots and dropped off some stuff so I wouldn't have to carry it all. Checked trail cam under my tree stand had nice pictures of the buck I saw there opening day. Wind was wrong to hunt that blind so I walked to stand in fence row. I just got Nicely settled in and the wind switched 180 dgrees. It does that a lot here by the lake. It was only 11:30 so I packed up and moved to the stand by the trail cam a1/2 mile away. At about 6:20 2 does and 4 fawns came out. I had my bow all line up just had to draw on the doe but I decided to let them all go. I might try to get a doe yet but not now and not there I'd like to keep them around that stand. It was a very exciting hunt and I didn't even take a shoot. Do have some nice trail cam pictures from opening day though. Happy Hunting to All
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:21:52 pm »
I had a pretty frustrating morning.  I did find a few interesting things along the way.

I sat in the oak grove tonight and only saw chipmunks and squirrels

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:23:41 am »
I haven't set a stand this year but here a few pics from years past. The first is not far from the house. The salt lick where I get trail cam pics in abut 30 yards behind...

...and there is Bucky, my deer decoy made from old political signs...

This is from a club I was a member in Oglethorpe County GA. The bow is a yew selfbow. The wood came from Don Berg, the founder of the BOM here on PA. The stand is in a strip of mixed hardwoods with a cane patch to the right and planted pines to the left.

The pic below is the club house At the Dixie Hunt Club in GA. We called this the Dixie Hilton. You can see my tent behind on the right...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 04:29:50 am »
Here is one from Saturday evening, small 5 point. Great weekend, Beau and I seen several deer but no shots.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 06:26:44 am »
Here is 1 more I think I posted it on Life is Good. I don't pass many shots like this. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 01:53:43 pm »
Those spots make it a  bit easier to let them walk by! Fawns are a lot of work for a few pounds of protein.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:56 pm »
I sat across the creek this morning and after about an hour I heard a splash. Turned around and saw 2 more jump the creek and head west away from me. After gettin wet one of the yearlings got purty stirred up and kept racing back and forth like she had hornets down her shirt. Momma just kinda watchin with that "would you KNOCK IT OFF!!" look.

Even though we haven't had a frost yet, the leaves were dropping all morning, and I was constantly hearing stuff that just wasn't there. It was a pretty morning to be out and always better when I see something.