Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 50384 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: From the stand
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:05 pm »
Pack a lunch and stay put next time Gutshot. ;D  Hope ya get a shot at that buck, he sure looks like a bruiser.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2016, 11:09:00 pm »
Thats a nice one for sure paul...looks like he was busy chasin some tail too!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2016, 01:43:20 pm »
Hey Guts...look!  He's laughing at you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2016, 08:24:24 am »
Well the bucks are still pushing the does around here.Not always within range but fun to watch.Got a regular I call half rack.He's missing his left side.Heavy at least 4 year old 10 point.Beautiful animal.
Looks like colder weather is coming here soon.Better get out the long underwear.....lol.I've passed on quite a few does.I might have to put an effort into just getting meat....lol.Still lots of other useable material from them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2016, 08:37:35 am »
Our archery is about to come to an end tomorrow. I wont lie, its been very rough. I haven't seen any rut behavior at all, zero. I've seen a handful of rubs, not 100's. And the few little scrapes I've seen came and went in a hurry. It just seems to me the deer are somewhere else for some reason. Oh well! Ill get after them again next like I have for the last 26 years.

Time for the ol' Hawken to come out of hiding. I can shoot her almost as far as the gross gun guys can shoot :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:08 am »
That makes it tough Pearly...I've had that too.Hard to figure what's going on.It was that way in the beginning here.No action whatsoever much but an occasional doe or two.I'm pissed off this year that I've shot 3 times and no deer.....lol.
I've got my .54 cal hawkin too....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2016, 09:00:43 am »
Ed I have hunted this little 5 acre wood lot for 7-8 years now, very casually. Last year it was full of rutting deer and sign. Even had a true giant living in the area that I seen twice. This year the trails are fewer and smaller, the sign is much fewer and the sightings are very few. But when you hunt 5 acres you don't exactly have much room to go looking for em'! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2016, 09:32:46 am »
It seems like our rut only lasted a few days.  I only saw one good chase.  Usually I'll see several in a day during the peak.  I'm betting there will be a good second rut this year.  I think the hot temperatures screwed things up this year. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »
We finished harvest yesterday. I haven't had much time to go to the woods but usually I see signs of the rut from my tractor. I'd agree with Clint, it doesn't really seem like the full fledged rut has occurred yet and I have the feeling we will have a bigger than usual 2nd rut. I think we had a small rut 2 weeks ago a lot of bucks taken then and I've seen a few the last couple of days chasing doe. I think it's about to get interesting. Good Luck everyone
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »
I haven't hunted this year so my only observations have been while walking in our woods. I found one old(a few weeks old) rub in our woods and that is it. I'll check my game camera later today to see who's been around over the last week.
 On Friday, while driving to town and within a few minutes of each other I saw 3 does(different ones each time) that looked like Momma, a yearling doe and this year's fawn busting out of the woods and bounding across fields with flags flying. In both cases this was from woods that don't get hunted so I assumed it was a buck chasing them although I never saw a buck either time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2016, 05:47:23 am »
Seems to have slowed down here also, last Thursday I seen 6 different bucks, Friday 4 /Saturday only 1 and nothing the last couple of days, the temp sure have something to do with it, but  they are still are going to rut/breed , hot or not. They just do it more at night. I have passed this little guy several time this year at 5 and 10 yards but when things get slow he better not keep tempting me. ;) :) I have no pride. ;) ;D ;D The only thing I require is at least 14 inches, that is back strap length of course.  ;) It is supposed to cool off here this weekend but wind in the 20mph range, maybe after this front get through things will pick up. It is usually very good for bucks until about Thanksgiving after that it slows again until mid to late Dec when the 2nd rut hit. It is always much slower but better than nothing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:46 am »
Gun season started here 2 days ago. I hunted hard last two days, in blind hour before sunrise walked home in dark. Yesterday I sat with my son for his 1st hunt he had classes opening day. We saw 4 different bucks. All had their nose to the ground or high in the air. They weren't looking anywhere just following their nose. 2 of them actually where under same tree stand I saw 9 point under opening bow. They didn't leave edge spent 2 maybe 3 minutes tops and ducked back in way they came from. Told my son just like they were robbing the bank.  They both later came across from a different spot nose high in the air at a fast trot never looked anywhere. They where a bit far away for my son and I need at least 4 points on one side to fill my second tag so we just watched. All that said it was actually pretty slow day doe where only out maybe 20 minutes after sunrise and 45 minutes before dark didn't bring any boys with them. My son has sat with me hunting for many years now. We never got a shot today but it was great having him in the "pilot in command seat". It is a hunt I will long remember.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2016, 09:56:10 am »
Sounds like you'll get a shot yet there.....bjrogg.The rut's going on here yet too.Saw 4 does and a nice 8 point following them.No shot though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2016, 04:43:39 am »
The first rut is slowing down here but the buck although not chasing like they were are still cruising around. Sunday morning saw a nice 8 point following a doe 20/30 yards back. This was a small doe he was on and 30 minutes earlier I saw a big doe and a small one pass the same trail so I suspect that was her other young one he was after. :-\ Also seen a big doe and 2 young'uns with her which tell me she has already bred , seen the young ones by their self last week. Also seen a 3 or 4 point a spike and another big wide 8 and a smaller 8 just walking and looking so they are still on the move. This action usually stays good until a little after Thanksgiving around here, but it has been a weird year so who knows. I had 2 of the 3  8's pass 30 yards and 3 doe, I need to move but no where to go so I guess I will just try and wait  it out and hope they move by a bit closer next time. Saturday had another nice 8 or 10 pass 30 yards  in another spot, guess I need to work on my shooting distance. The life of a primitive bow hunter.  :o If you can't take the heat as they say you need to get out of the kitchen. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2016, 09:00:04 am »
I think the second rut is starting to heat up a little bit around here.  Several people I know shot mature bucks over the last 2 days.  My Dad hasn't been seen much at all over the last week and a half but yesterday he saw a bunch of deer movement.  He's out right now.  I wish he would get one so we can get our stands in before winter hits.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left