Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 48381 times)

Offline Lumberman

Re: From the stand
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 03:39:04 pm »
Had 5 good ones unfortunately I need to fill doe tags before I can shoot a buck haha. Had to walk far far to get to this spot but hou can see why I do
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:42:08 pm by Lumberman »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:56:40 pm »
Man that looks good there Lumberman. That would be a sweet shot right there
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 03:59:44 pm »
Does'nt get much better than that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »
Do I see 3?

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 06:31:57 pm »
Yep, there were 5 of em together, slipped in, checked the field,  turned around  and headed back into the timber; the biggest one had to be over 5years old it was awesome. I was saying a prayer of thanks the whole time. So cool to get to be in their staging spot that evening

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »
That's pretty special lumberman, you can see those replayed in you mind along time. Good Luck.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
Thanks for posting guys.  Those are some nice bucks Lumberman.  That bachelor group should be splitting up soon. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 09:00:28 pm »
I skipped hunting today so we could finish setting up the rest of our stands and a couple ground blinds.  We were putting a hang on stand up next to a ladder stand when I noticed this little doe eating acorns 30 yards away and watching us the entire time.  She got as close as 25 yards away while we were working. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 09:41:20 pm »
Funny how when your hunting you don't see any but when your working you do.
   I went out this afternoon sat in one of my fence row stands. Got out about 3:45 about 4:30 a group of younger deer came towards me from neighboring woods. They grazed in the nieghbors hay field and even layed down for awhile. There was a spike and a 4 point that spared for a bit then they slowly made there way to cornfield to my north. Finally about 30 min before dark a doe and 2 fawns came out of corn then another deer couldn't make out what it was but they slowly grazed in my clover heading east away from me. I was watching them when I heard something to my south. I was in a pine tree, I planted these trees 21 years ago this spring. It was hard to see her but a doe was right on the edge of the trees coming toward me. I got ready and let arrow go right as she past me. She was right under my stand walking away a little to close. I saw the arrow hit her a little to high and forward. It was getting close to dark but I think it hit her in the shoulder blade. She ran off and I saw the arrow fall after about 20 yards. I was sure it wasn't a lethal  wound, not much else I could do but wait a bit. I climb out of my stand and looked for blood and found none but it was dark and in a clover field. I found my arrow missing the stone point, with a little blood and hair on it. I'll look in morning but I'm not very hopeful of finding anything. I'm a little bummed I didn't wake a better shot was just off a little bit but that's all it takes.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 11:39:06 pm »
Those darn close under ya shots get me to shoot high too.The vitals window is a lot smaller then too.You'll see her again later on if you don't think it penetrated deep enough.At least your getting your licks in already.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »
Lumberman...Your in buck heaven there.Congrats.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 11:42:58 pm »
The most bucks I've ever seen close to shooting range was 5 and 4 does to boot all chasing each other around like heathens.I never did get a shot that evening....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 11:49:37 pm »
I love watching them when there all grouped up, but it might be a nightmare trying to shoot one with a bow then. Sure is fun to watch em though. The most I've seen together (they weren't in bow range) was 13 bucks I could tell for sure with the naked eye, there were several more deer but couldn't tell what they where.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:17 am »
Yes it's enjoyable and entertaining at the same time.Educational too while not getting a shot.A person can get first hand experience from them encounters about things like types of grunt noises made in the heat of the action.The bleat noises made getting between a doe and her fawn that are seperated.All attractants to get them to let their guard down.
I watched 7 bucks from my tractor wear this doe out once to the point she just layed down on her belly.
OO.....Some things don't change,but I bet after gun season she won't be so approachable.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 10:10:33 am »
I looked for any sign this morning and didn't find anything. I'm sure she's not hurt bad unless she would get infection. I'm sure arrow only penetrated a inch or maybe 2. I talked to one of my buddies this morning he basically did the same thing with his compound on a the biggest buck he ever shoot at. Found arrow with about 5" broken off and no blood. He's really upset thinks arrow my have penetrated deep enough for mortal wound. Guess it can happen at 300+ feet per second to.
Bjrogg
PS Ed I love watching them weather it from my tractor or hunting it's allways nice to observe the wild creatures and learn their ways